DSJackson

Braided Neck Lanyards

I would like to make a braided neck lanyard but am coming up shy with ways to join it all together. At this point the only way I can think of is to have the two ends fold back into themselves and backbraid to form two eyes which will be done around a bolt snap or some kind of hardware.

Is there any option to have the two ends meet and join behind the neck?

If this isn't clear I can draw a quick picture of what I'm talking about.

Let's generate some ideas!

I am thinking that a photo, or drawing would be a good idea so we can see where you are with your project. This in turn can help us help you in how to proceed in the best way possible.

Brian...

this is my two cents

try something like this you can just use a smaller bead if you want or even punch the center out of a small button. these are necklaces i made for my kid a while back . i just took two laces and started the four strand braid around something approximately the same size and when i had enough i fed it through and made the loop then at the end i but the bead in but for the first one i made a nice terminal knot this one i don't remember how i made it i just played around with it. you can use anything or just build it up and put small pineapple over it but just make it small . hope it helps

phpjNkKRnPM.jpg

phpP3bLSbPM.jpg

phpWtz3XUPM.jpg

phpXyASM4PM.jpg

post-10813-127335329401_thumb.jpg

post-10813-127335330045_thumb.jpg

post-10813-127335330632_thumb.jpg

post-10813-127335331002_thumb.jpg

I've MSPAINT'ed up a couple of crude drawings of what I'm thinking about. Hopefully it doesn't confuse the matter. I don't have ANY neck lanyards made yet but I'm ready to give 'er a crack.

Figure 1:

This is what I meant in my original post. The first and definately do-able idea. Make the braid, fold the ends back over their own leads and backbraid to make an eyelet which will have the hardware attached. Cinch the two braids together near the hardware with a decorative knot. The depiction on the left is exaggerated, on the right is "complete".

BraidedLanyard01.jpg

Figure 2:

Make one long lead, middle it with a bolt snap and join the leads where they would be at the back of the neck. Perhaps a longer covering knot to hide the join of the two ends, and a knot at the hardware to keep everything in place. Problem with this is how can you join the two ends?

BraidedLanyard02.jpg

Figure 3:

An adjustable length neck lanyard, is this doable? Two seperate braids to form the whole, all braid ends have some type of decorative terminal knot. One braid overlaps the other and both held together by larger decorative knots that would allow the two braids to slide back and forth underneath to create the adjustable length. The terminal knots would stop the whole thing from coming apart under pressure. Also possibly two knots on either side to hold the two braids together.

BraidedLanyard03.jpg

Figure 4:

One braided length backbraided to form the neck loop and backbraided at the end to form the hardware eyelet. Covering knots hide the joins. Fairly basic, and simple design.

BraidedLanyard04.jpg

Any ideas on these? Any OTHER ideas? Looking forward to the brainstorming... I'm interested to know if the adjustable lanyard would be realistic and how to join the ends as in figure 2.

Do you know how to do a terminal knot? That's what I would do, and have done.<br><br>We posted at the same time! You do know how to do a terminal knot.  I just connect the ends with a terminal knot and weave the snap in the terminal knot and finally cover with a herringbone.  <br>

Edited by entiendo

I've never done a terminal knot but I have several knot tying books with a few variations. I'd pracice these before getting elaborate of course, and assuming I'd mess them up and come here for help haha.

Do you happen to have any pictures of a lanyard incorporating what you've explained here, entiendo?

Hi I just joined the other day and have been busy reading a bunch of post learning different things. It has been a while since I have braided and am dusting off my stuff and starting up again.

I was also thinking of doing up a few lanyards also. I did find a site with some braided ones, I will look later and see if I can find it. Not sure if I can post the website or not so I will pm to you if I find it. I will also double check the rules on posting stuff.

Have a great day!!!

Edited by ocolson

I made a lanyard for some ID cards I have and what I do is that when I get the length I want I start making a box braid with the last 2 layers going through the ring that I hang the cards on so that the box braid doesn't slide.

Here's a pic of what I did

scan0004.jpg

post-7630-12734177943_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this helps, but I just made a couple of simple whistle lanyards with break-away connectors that I got HERE. I have actually had a lanyard get caught in a moving piece of equipment, so it freaks me out to wear one that's not break-away. rolleyes2.gif

This is one of them:

IMG_3737.jpg

I actually use that landyard every day, but I can't do pictures right now, I'll try and do it tonight. However I did show a terminal knot to another braider via online so I posted the directions on my photobucket page. Disregard the core part of it though, it was a different project. If you are joining 2 4 plaits you will have 2 strings at each section. If you are joining 2 8 plaits (and that's what my lanyard is because I don't like 4 plait and keys around my neck) you have 4 strings at each part of the square knot and it can be a little tricky. I kind of twist them together a little.

I'm not sure when I attached the snap. You might have to get more advise there or play with it yourself.

Oh...what about closing it off like you would close a bosal? Just came to me. I make little key chain bosals and attach a little D ring when I flip the string under and through the Spanish ring, then cover with a heal knot. I'm pretty sure there is bosal instructions here somewhere. You would just do it on a smaller scale. I bet that's the best way! I'll still post the terminal knot instructions anyway.

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/entiendo12345/Terminal%20Knot/

I've MSPAINT'ed up a couple of crude drawings of what I'm thinking about. Hopefully it doesn't confuse the matter. I don't have ANY neck lanyards made yet but I'm ready to give 'er a crack.

Figure 1:

This is what I meant in my original post. The first and definately do-able idea. Make the braid, fold the ends back over their own leads and backbraid to make an eyelet which will have the hardware attached. Cinch the two braids together near the hardware with a decorative knot. The depiction on the left is exaggerated, on the right is "complete".

BraidedLanyard01.jpg

Figure 2:

Make one long lead, middle it with a bolt snap and join the leads where they would be at the back of the neck. Perhaps a longer covering knot to hide the join of the two ends, and a knot at the hardware to keep everything in place. Problem with this is how can you join the two ends?

BraidedLanyard02.jpg

Figure 3:

An adjustable length neck lanyard, is this doable? Two seperate braids to form the whole, all braid ends have some type of decorative terminal knot. One braid overlaps the other and both held together by larger decorative knots that would allow the two braids to slide back and forth underneath to create the adjustable length. The terminal knots would stop the whole thing from coming apart under pressure. Also possibly two knots on either side to hold the two braids together.

BraidedLanyard03.jpg

Figure 4:

One braided length backbraided to form the neck loop and backbraided at the end to form the hardware eyelet. Covering knots hide the joins. Fairly basic, and simple design.

BraidedLanyard04.jpg

Any ideas on these? Any OTHER ideas? Looking forward to the brainstorming... I'm interested to know if the adjustable lanyard would be realistic and how to join the ends as in figure 2.

I like the ideas of Fig 1 which would be most likely the quickest and cleanest way.

I also like the idea of Fig. 3 for the simple reason that you could also take the looped end and bring that together into a 6 strand round braid, or an 8 strand round braid thereby making the loop appear to be more natural, or making it look like it belongs there. Do one of those two braids for a length and then separate the 6, or 8 strand round braid into the equivalent smaller round braids and treat the rest of the lanyard as you have designed in your figures for adjusting and such.

I also like the idea of Fig. 4. It would be essentially be nearly the same as Fig 3 in the way the loop is made. Making the loop by starting with the looped end and then bringing that together with another braid. Example; a 4 strand round braid brought together making an 8 strand round braid with a 550 cord as the core for a length, then dividing the 8 strand back to 2 separate 4 strand round braids and then spliced together as in a back spliced technique used aboard ship to bind 2 ropes together that are to short for a specific job.

That's my little tid bit for you. But in the end you're the artist and should go with what you think best for your skills and product.

Brian...

two splice the braid end with end(beginning) you would leave two strands at the beginning longer than the other two this would give you two longer ones at the end. put make the end meet and feed the longer ones at the end with the shorter ones at the beginning do the same with the other two and burri the ends with in the braid. this is one way to do it or just make them meet and cover them with a pineapple knot. i sent you a link hope this all helps sorry i dont have any pics of the splice.

I like the idea in figure 3 with a slight change. Why use 2 completely different braids? I was playing with some Roo and made a bracelet for my gal. 4 strand round braid with a terminal knot on both ends, looped so the ends wrapped around past the other end and a Spanish ring to keep it in place and act as a slide. You would just do it on a longer scale.

It worked good until it stretched out, I didn't stretch my strings :o