7 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker2

Lurker2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:None yet

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

OK, the noob here has a question. I need to attach loop Velcro to the inside of a belt. Belt is single thickness, so rivets and stitching are both out. Has anyone successfully used glue? I need something stronger than Velcro's StickyBack or heat-activated types.

#2 Dwight

Dwight

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts
  • Interests:Church Pastor, Shooter, Leatherworking, Hunting, making most anything for the first time (yeah, I get bored easy)
  • Leatherwork Specialty:gun leather
  • Interested in learning about:working with leather
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:from 1911.com

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

There may be a better way, Lurker2, . . . but so far I have not found it. I've tried just about the best contact cement I've ever seen and even it would not hold it like I wanted it to.

I made a couple of special cell phone (I phone type) holders for a unique situation, . . . needed flap over the top, . . . velcro to keep flap closed, . . . that was the order.

I wound up contact cementing the things on there, . . . then stitching them.

If I was doing the belt you mentioned, . . . contact cement first, . . . then sew the edges, making it appear decorative.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

#3 Lurker2

Lurker2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:None yet

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

... I've tried just about the best contact cement I've ever seen and even it would not hold it like I wanted it to.

If I was doing the belt you mentioned, . . . contact cement first, . . . then sew the edges, making it appear decorative.

Dwight,
Thanks for the quick reply.
What brand of contact cement are you using?

#4 katsass

katsass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Interests:Older firearms, Trap shooting, Western history
  • Leatherwork Specialty:holsters - gunbelts - items for shooting sports
  • Interested in learning about:inlays - Holster design
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:by accident

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

OK, the noob here has a question. I need to attach loop Velcro to the inside of a belt. Belt is single thickness, so rivets and stitching are both out. Has anyone successfully used glue? I need something stronger than Velcro's StickyBack or heat-activated types.

Lurker, I have made a few 'bucklelss' belts with Velcro fastening. The only way to unsure that the Velcro remains in place is to stitch it in place after cementing. I use 'Weldwood' contact cement........the solvent based version..........you can get it 4 oz bottles. I tried their water based stuff but wasn't too happy with it. JMHO, Mike
NOTE TO SELF: Never try to hold a cat and an operating Dust buster at the same time!!

At my age I find that I can live without sex..........but not without my glasses.
Being old has an advantage.......nobody expects me to do anything in a hurry.

#5 Dwight

Dwight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts
  • Interests:Church Pastor, Shooter, Leatherworking, Hunting, making most anything for the first time (yeah, I get bored easy)
  • Leatherwork Specialty:gun leather
  • Interested in learning about:working with leather
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:from 1911.com

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

I use the same as Katsass, . . . Weldwood.

They have a new product, . . . a gel version. I've used it for a couple of months now, . . . it's good.

But even it won't hold velcro, . . . just gotta sew that stuff, . . . or put some camoflaged or covered rivets in it.

May God bless,
Dwight

If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

#6 bex DK

bex DK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:lacing and carving
  • Interested in learning about:lacing and carving
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

Maybe you could hide the sitching with some decorative lace work?

#7 RML Leather

RML Leather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

I am assuming you are working on a soft rap around belt worn over clothing and not used to hold up ones pants. It this is the case and all your really trying to accomplish is keeping it from falling off the person, try sewing it on leather the that is the same size of your Velcro to be used, or if need be a in the center of a slightly larger piece of leather. Then glue this to your belt.

(also helps to sew the Velcro to the top side of the leather (smooth side) so the rough bottom side works more into the leather and adds additional holding power. Hope this was of some help.

#8 Stewart

Stewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Dream catchers, journals, baseballs and scraps.
    Tobacco Pipes-Knives.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Baseballs
  • Interested in learning about:How to sell!!!!!!!!!!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:web

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Lurker,
I am way better at doing dreamcatchers than leather and I use Loctite super dlue precision max (clear- ribbed cap).
I use it for the hanging strap and the webbing also for the beads and stones that are treated in the web plus the feathers.
For my head bands i used it to secure the sponge and velcro fuzy side. I was sewing after glueing the velccro.
I had to reposition one end and i had to use a scaple to shave the glue off. The hard nylon side of the velcro is hard to glue
but it also held. Try a patch first,I think it would work for you. I use 6 Lb fishing line as thread myself.
I lost some weight after retiring and my wedding band kept falling off so i used some artifical snew (spell check dont work)
and used Loctite to hold the wraps and it with stands the water and soap.
Any way give it a try.
Joe St

Attached Files