2 replies to this topic

#1 Penden

Penden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interested in learning about:Tooling and coloring leather

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

I used a waxed-based spray coating on these bracers and the paint started to chip off almost immediately:
http://picasaweb.goo...793450096814370 (before use)
I am painting on top of dye, with the acrylics from the leatherstore, and then coating. Is waxed based coating not going to work or am I maybe applying it wrong? I also have acrylic resolene that I've used but of course the spray is easier to apply.

How should I be protecting my paintings?

#2 CitizenKate

CitizenKate

Database Diva

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Game boards, accessories, furniture

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

I use wax-based finishes over acrylic on a lot of projects and don't have problems with cracking.

But here's my best guess what you might try differently... try diluting the acrylic paint and applying it in multiple thinner coats to allow it to absorb into the leather more. That will not only allow the surface texture to show through better, but will also make the color more stable.

I've used wax, acrylic, and lacquer finishes over acrylic paint, and they all seem to work well if you apply the paint in that manner.

Kate

#3 Penden

Penden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interested in learning about:Tooling and coloring leather

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

I use wax-based finishes over acrylic on a lot of projects and don't have problems with cracking.

But here's my best guess what you might try differently... try diluting the acrylic paint and applying it in multiple thinner coats to allow it to absorb into the leather more. That will not only allow the surface texture to show through better, but will also make the color more stable.

I've used wax, acrylic, and lacquer finishes over acrylic paint, and they all seem to work well if you apply the paint in that manner.

Kate

Thank you, I will try that because if the finish is not the problem then the paint application most likely is.