• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Interests:Anything I can do with my hands and mind
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Everything that is unusual
  • Interested in learning about:everything
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Web

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

Can anyone tell me what this old machine is worth? No table and no treadle. Probably needs work, Duh! Has knob on wheel to use as a manual machine. Casting looks to be good shape.

ferg

#2 Wizcrafts

Wizcrafts

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts
  • Interests:Leathercraft, contract sewing, Country-Western music, computer consulting and PC and website security and freelance Webmaster for hire.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Belts, custom holsters, knife sheaths, guitar straps, rifle slings, custom vests, pouches/cases, wallets/purses, weight lifting belts, contract sewing
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google search

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Can anyone tell me what this old machine is worth? No table and no treadle. Probably needs work, Duh! Has knob on wheel to use as a manual machine. Casting looks to be good shape.

ferg

Offer $100. If the seller agrees take it home, clean it up and begin restoring it. Singer short arm K series patchers can only sew a bit over 5/16" of leather. The stitch length is going to be very short at that thickness. You may need to rebuild the moving parts inside the butterfly ring to restore normal stitch length capacity.

This model uses the small bobbin and is best suited to #69 thread, or maybe #92.

The Singer 29 patchers are designed to patch shoes and boots. They feed via teeth on the bottom of the pressor foot. There is no feed dog to assist moving the material.
Posted IMHO, by Wiz

#3 50 years leather

50 years leather

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Interests:Anything I can do with my hands and mind
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Everything that is unusual
  • Interested in learning about:everything
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Web

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

Offer $100. If the seller agrees take it home, clean it up and begin restoring it. Singer short arm K series patchers can only sew a bit over 5/16" of leather. The stitch length is going to be very short at that thickness. You may need to rebuild the moving parts inside the butterfly ring to restore normal stitch length capacity.

This model uses the small bobbin and is best suited to #69 thread, or maybe #92.

The Singer 29 patchers are designed to patch shoes and boots. They feed via teeth on the bottom of the pressor foot. There is no feed dog to assist moving the material.

Thanks, Exactly what I wanted to know.

ferg

#4 CowboyBob

CowboyBob

Sewing Machine Dealer

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:We sell New & Used
    Leather Sewing Machines
    Parts,Needles &Thread
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Can help w/sewing machine questions & supplies
  • Interested in learning about:People needing help with machines

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hey Guys,
A word for the wise,the 29K51,53,56 all have real small & brittle gears in them that have been obsolete over 30 yrs.I get alot of calls for people wanting gears for them & have to tell them they have a parts machine.All the upper head parts are the same as the 29K58,71,71 which have larger gears in them that you can still buy & use this for parts.
Hope this helps,
Bob

kovar.gif

Bob Kovar
Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine Sales Ltd.
3631 Marine Rd
Toledo,Ohio 43609
1-866-362-7397