#1 CustomDoug

CustomDoug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interested in learning about:all aspects of leathercrafting
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:just searching the net

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

I have the opportunity to purchase an Adler 30-1 patcher sewing machine for around $350 (head only)... assuming it's in good shape, would that be a good purchase?

#2 shoepatcher

shoepatcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Collects old industrial sewing machine manuals. Golf. Rebuild shoepatchers.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:hockey manufacturer
  • Interested in learning about:Old industrial sewing machines
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:the net

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Custom Doug,

I would want to see pics of the machine as well as being able to sew some samples which is not always possible. What color is the machine? Black, green or grey. The color is one sign of the age of the machine. Contrary to some of the postings on this board, some parts are no longer available for these early models of the 30 class machine Adler. To answer yoru question, $350.00 may be a good price fo rthe machine once I have seen pics of it. Also, what do you intend to sew with this machine?
shoepatcher

I have the opportunity to purchase an Adler 30-1 patcher sewing machine for around $350 (head only)... assuming it's in good shape, would that be a good purchase?

#3 CustomDoug

CustomDoug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interested in learning about:all aspects of leathercrafting
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:just searching the net

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

The machine is green, has a small motor attached, I'd mostly be sewing garment leather, but same stuff as any old singer patcher I guess. Are the Adler's generally worth more than their Singer counterparts or about the same? Remember this one has no table, head only. thanks for your help. I'm affraid the initial pic isn't all that great, but here it is:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#4 Trox

Trox

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Interests:Dogs,Boats,fly Fishing, Industrial sewing machines, leather tools And Volvo Veterancars
  • Interested in learning about:When I stop learning, I am dead

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

Hello Custom Doug!
This is a old black Adler 30 painted green. From this pic. I can not see any details, but it do not look good! 350 Usd. is a no go!
Trox

The machine is green, has a small motor attached, I'd mostly be sewing garment leather, but same stuff as any old singer patcher I guess. Are the Adler's generally worth more than their Singer counterparts or about the same? Remember this one has no table, head only. thanks for your help. I'm affraid the initial pic isn't all that great, but here it is:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#5 shoepatcher

shoepatcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Collects old industrial sewing machine manuals. Golf. Rebuild shoepatchers.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:hockey manufacturer
  • Interested in learning about:Old industrial sewing machines
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:the net

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

I agree with Trox. This was an early 30 class Adler that was originally black. To me, it does not look that good. I would want to see sewn samples. Plus, this has the old style balance wheel on it. Withowu sewn samples, I would not buy it.
shoepatcher

Hello Custom Doug!
This is a old black Adler 30 painted green. From this pic. I can not see any details, but it do not look good! 350 Usd. is a no go!
Trox

#6 TheGerman

TheGerman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Leather!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Internet

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

Posted Image
The orig. Look of the Adler 30-1 !!!

Edited by TheGerman, 23 January 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#7 BIGGUNDOCTOR

BIGGUNDOCTOR

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Leatherworking, blacksmithing, wood carving, ceramics, photography, cooking, shooting, everything outdoors, everything automotive, Member of the Vegas Artists Guild,
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Specialization is for insects.
  • Interested in learning about:Garment making-specifically a trench coat.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

I've seen worse sell for more. Looks can be deceiving. How tight is the machine, is it smooth, does it work as it should? Cosmetics can be cleaned up at home. I wouldn't pass on it if it operates as it should. Hell, it may be worth more as parts if they are not available as mentioned earlier. But I wouldn't part it out unless it was non operable / fixable
You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.