• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Laurie

Laurie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:old sewing machine & old bike restos
  • Leatherwork Specialty:custom alterations & repairs m/c & cowboy leathers. Lacing, braiding & weaving
  • Interested in learning about:leather leather leather
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:happened upon the site

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Hey y'all. Any suggestions on how to remove automotive spray primer from a pair of chaps? It's not a small spot, the guy used the chap leg, smooth grain outward, as a masking deal and the whole lag almost is solid primer grey! I need to remove that primer hopefully without pulling up the leather dye. then I will re-condition the leather. Any experienced answers will be very helpful and apreciated (sp), as I can guess alot of ways to try to do this myself, but I don't want to keep experimenting with different chemicals on the old leather.
Laurie~SYLB

#2 50 years leather

50 years leather

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Anything I can do with my hands and mind
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Everything that is unusual
  • Interested in learning about:everything
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Web

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hey y'all. Any suggestions on how to remove automotive spray primer from a pair of chaps? It's not a small spot, the guy used the chap leg, smooth grain outward, as a masking deal and the whole lag almost is solid primer grey! I need to remove that primer hopefully without pulling up the leather dye. then I will re-condition the leather. Any experienced answers will be very helpful and apreciated (sp), as I can guess alot of ways to try to do this myself, but I don't want to keep experimenting with different chemicals on the old leather.

The auto primer could be lacquer based, solvent/water. Either way, I think you have a nice chap painted gray.

ferg

#3 dirtclod

dirtclod

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:none, like learning new ways of doing things.
  • Interested in learning about:everything
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:through search engine

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

You might try some acetone. If you try make sure your outside because it has a power strong smell and it and the fumes will burn.
I'm old enough to know that i don't know everything.

#4 alb

alb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

acetone will pull up the dye.

You might try some acetone. If you try make sure your outside because it has a power strong smell and it and the fumes will burn.

#5 swinewerx

swinewerx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Leather workings, welding my own things my way
  • Leatherwork Specialty:seats,anything leather
  • Interested in learning about:How to get photos here w/ a reg computer too
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:jockey journal

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

I would use acetone, but, I hate chaps! If using acetone and it makes it lighter in dye, then, acetone the whole pair using the same rags to spread the colorful glory all around. Then, seal it with the appropriate sealer you use for your leather working fun! Or, redye, then, seal!, after using acetone to semi remove the primer. The only time I use chaps, are when it is pretty cold, and I got my michelin man suit on, then chaps over that. But, that is only motocycle use! If you all are talking about horse riding chaps, I am lost, and I would quickly fall/fly off of a horse, even at a slow pace and no bouncing!!! Seriously, horses rule, and I am not worthy of riding one.
Still trying to figure out what is going on out there in the custom/one off world