Sign in to follow this  
Gawdzilla

Snoopy Hat Pattern?

Anybody have the leather flier's hat with the chin strap? Lined or unlined okay.

I'm well chuffed. The first attempt at upsizing the pattern came out like this. (It's tacked together with a stapler.) That's the liner, btw. Bit cheaper to do cloth for prototypes of course.The pattern allows for 1/4" for the seams, so it won't be quite so "narrow" when it's done.

post-15444-049962900 1301351017_thumb.jp

Edited by Gawdzilla

Here's the pattern. It's a "large", for me. You'll want to get the measurements for the numbered points for a custom fit for the customer, of course. There is a 1/4" seam allowance built in. The dimensions are for a square that piece would fit into. (You can print the crown on legal size paper or piece it together, either works.) I'm going to cover one of these in buffalo for next winter's campfires.

post-15444-064323400 1301405883_thumb.gi

post-15444-080691500 1301405894_thumb.gi

post-15444-069101500 1301405905_thumb.gi

The chin strap needs to be about twice that wide if you plan to sew it. I'll post a modified cheek pattern when I get it done. Alternative is to have a separate strap that you can attach at both cheeks. That would make for less waste when cutting the leather.

I'd add about another 1/4" to the edges that will show for sewing purposes. Leather doesn't fold as neatly as cloth, so that extra material is handy.