• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 lazybum

lazybum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I don't have a drill press. I've tried carefully pushing the awl through the leather and "fishing" for it one the other side of the groove. Worked pretty ok so far, just a lot more tedious.

#17 lazybum

lazybum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

Just a thought on my part, but if you are very careful to keep the stitches on the bottom piece of leather very straight and accurate, why couldn't you go back after the holes are punched and put the groove in along the line of stitches?

Yeah ive thought of that but the stitching path will still be haywire

I didn't quite read all the answers you got, my guess is that on the thinner leather, you're not putting the awl in as deep as you are on the thicker leather and so the holes aren't as big.
Kevin

Thinner leather is fine, its the thicker leather that is the problem. Once you are off by a small angle your hole may just end up very far off.

#18 RoaringBull

RoaringBull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Reenacting and shooting black powder...I love the smell of leather and sulphur in the morning!
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Late 18th and early 19th century leather items
  • Interested in learning about:carving and everything else
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

One thing that I also do is, when I am about to punch my holes, I will punch holes in the corners or along long lines, after I make sure that the edges are lined up good, and put a needle or pin or something in those holes to hold the entire project still and lined up...it helps me.

#19 MollyKnly

MollyKnly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interested in learning about:Old fashioned tooling, art tooling

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

1296628972[/url]' post='184793']
I know this is probably against all the rules, but I am using a drill press and my awl. I removed the awl chuck out of the handle, and just inseted the rod into the drill press. I then just use the handle on the drill press to do the stabbing. You can set up a jig to maintain the proper line and distance from the edge, and if you happen to have a laser sight on your press, it really makes hitting your stitch wheel marks a lot easier. I struggled with keeping my awl perfectly straigh, and the front would look great until you turned the piece over and the stitches really wandered. I had finally gotten pretty proficient at keeping it straight, but this makes it almost fool proof. To me, this is a much better option than drilling the holes. Just an idea that works for me.
Terry

Ooooh it is cheating, but i like it!

#20 GoldenKnight

GoldenKnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interested in learning about:all aspects, styles, and methods of leather crafting

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

Might be a little late on this thread, but something I have done is to lay the grooves AFTER I punch my holes.

1. glue up my pieces & let them dry/set
2. punch my stitching holes with a diamond punch (1, 2, or 4 tine depending on straight or curved path)
3. use my groover and go OVER the holes (on both sides) just punched
4. Use a Q-tip with same color stain in the groove, if applicable or needed
5. now I stitch the project up and the thread lays in the grooves on both sides perfectly.

I have found that by doing this, the thread is flush or slightly below the surface (no snags) on BOTH SIDES in the grooves, and the punched holes also appear smaller and less noticeable as a bonus on my finished product.
No dead ends -- only detours.