Clay

Dragon scales

Hey all,

On the post I made about the album some, one suggested that the shell stamp would make great scales for a dragon. I was thinking about it and came up with this. I started by stamping out an area with various background stamps. Then over that I did the shell stamp and the filler. Makes very cool looking scales. Now if I ever have to carve a dragon I will have something to make it different.

ClayM.

jse_dragon_scales_1.jpg

post-255-1210303244_thumb.jpg

I don't believe you. so go carve a dragon and then we'll see....

That looks pretty good and gives a great scale effect . I've been slowly drawing up another koi scene. I think i just might try that when i get ready to pound it into dead cow.

I really like how that came out...think it will work well, nice job

Damn I could have used this on my Reptilian Skull. ugh, great job.

That's some good looking scales!

Thanks for your effort and sharing. This might come in handy sometime.

Tom

Great idea and thanks for sharing this Clay:-)

Very interesting Clay. I had bought Bob Beards scale tools because I like the way they actually undercut the leather at the tips of the scales. but your ideas are very cool.

After seeing your pictures/post I've experimented with several different combinations of stamps. For example an S630 with a V744. And V744 above an N363. For scalelike look I also used U858 over top lightly stamped G605.

You may have created a monster here with that post :Lighten:

Hey all,

On the post I made about the album some, one suggested that the shell stamp would make great scales for a dragon. I was thinking about it and came up with this. I started by stamping out an area with various background stamps. Then over that I did the shell stamp and the filler. Makes very cool looking scales. Now if I ever have to carve a dragon I will have something to make it different.

ClayM.

jse_dragon_scales_1.jpg

I had similar experience a year or two ago. But you sure did put much more attention to the detail in your research. Thanks for sharing.

DSCF5653.jpg

Edited by MadTailor

Clay, Im not clear on what tool the "filler" is.

Clay, Im not clear on what tool the "filler" is.

The filler is a stamp that is used to fill in the lines on the shell. It also adds a degree of depth the the stamping.

Hopefully you can see in this picture there is a filler in the first row if stamping in the first group and in the second line it is done in the fisrt part, these two show what it looks like with the filler and without the filler.

Hope this helps

ClayM.

dragon.jpg sorry bout the bad picture

post-255-1210485008_thumb.jpg

That same stamping can be used to simulate snakeskin as well with some additional shading with another dye or two.Sandy Morrissey made me a stamp(similar to a mule foot) to use for this as he employ's this technique often.Dave

Here is an example with a rifle sling, cheek piece and knife sheath in a faux snake pattern.

CampSandy2.jpg

Here is a leather carving where the scales were formed with a "v" shaped (two sizes) wood carving gouge:

borisf.jpg

borisc.jpg

Bob Stelmack

post-82-1222267240_thumb.jpg

post-82-1222267366_thumb.jpg

Here is a leather carving where the scales were formed with a "v" shaped (two sizes) wood carving gouge:

Bob Stelmack

That is one gorgeous design Bob!! I love it!!

Think I'm gonna try it myself some time soon, I have some wood carving gouges laying around wich I bought because "they looked useful" but never thought of them being good for scales so thank you for the great tip.

Tom

Thats a fantastic looking dragon rat thingy there. Thank you for the inspirational idea, You_Rock_Emoticon.gif