ChuckBurrows

An Early Mtn Man Shot Bag And Powderhorn.......

The first mountain men came from the east and this set was inspired by those early trappers such as Forest Hancock and Joseph Dickson who went up the Missouri River in 1807 with John Colter, Thomas James who went west with the Lisa expedition, last but far from least Hoback, Reznor, and Edward Robinson who guided the Wilson Price Hunt Expedition of 1811 (Robinson is my kind of frontiersman - he was born in 1745, lost his hair in Kentucky, and his life in Rocky Mountains at age 66). The pouch is based on a pic of an original I found on line, but did not note where I got it – Oh Well! The whole set is intended to be my idea of what one of these earliest of mountaineers might have carried during those early years. My version is patterned after that original. It is made from alum tawed sheepskin (I love this stuff!) rather than cowhide like the original, but does have a dark blue plaid wool liner similar to the original. Size is 8.5" wide by 7.5" tall. It has a small exterior pocket for storing greased patches, and a short fringed welt. It has a brain tan buckskin repair along one edge seam, both inside and outside, an inner pocket of brain tan as a later addition, and the strap of bark tan cowhide harness leather is also intended to represent a later replacement - the adjustment buckle is a saddle buckle of the era. On the back is a strap with a bone button that can be tucked under the waist belt or sash to keep the bag from swinging away from one’s body. The flap is closed with a hand made domed brass button. The bit of beadwork is done with blue pound beads similar in color to many originals of the era and is intended to represent what one of the early mountaineers paramours may have added to “fancy” things up a bit – east meets west…. The horn is an original SW Virginia horn (circa 1850’s?) that I got from Capt Mike in a trade. I repaired the small cracks along the butt with a bit of pitch and then covered it over with deer rawhide. I then added an iron ring for the bark tan cowhide harness strap at both ends and can be used alone or attached to the patch strap via a couple of small braintan thongs. The horn can be used alone or attached to the patch strap via a couple of small braintan thongs. The strap is adjustable via the two braintan buckskin thongs on each end. Mated up to the horn are a 70gr antler powder measure and a simple iron touchhole pick attached to the horn via a fine link iron chain, which came off some old (circa 1880’s) harness - the pick and measuer fit into a small pocket on the back of the bag's strap. The whole set was given a patina of age – used but not abused………….

sheep-bag-horn-1-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-4-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-5-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-6-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-7-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-2-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-3-2011.jpg

This is the kind of stuff I love. Really great pict and detailed info.

I primitive camped in a cold rain and woke up to ice and some damp gear last weekend, and absolutely loved every minute of it.

Chuck,

I've admired your work for a while now, and this is certainly an incredible piece like so much of your other work. I'm jealous and hoping I can make its equal someday:specool:

I really love looking at your work, Chuck. It's always beautiful work, but the historical detail makes it really special.

Kate

This is some great work here.

wow that stuff looks like it just came out of a "wayback" machine, excellent job!!

Thanks all - your comments are much appreciated and my hope is that my "showing of"" will help inspire others to achieve their goals and dreams.

History buff - been there and done that! Now a days though I prefer the comfort of a nice warm lodger of cabin - just like the old timers the rheumatis has set in and being cold and wet is not as much fun!

The wayback machine yeah! - the Rocky & Bullwinkle just started up on Boomerang I think it is and I've been recording them - love that Professor dog dude! ....

Jack nice to see you're still around - hope ya'll in Texas are surviving all that cold and "snow"! Not much snow here, but plenty cold - 25°f below zero here a couple weeks ago and 15°F just a day or two ago........

Kate - I love the history part of it all. I've done Medieval (SCA - I started in 1969, but dropped out back in the mid-90's), Renaissance, and cowboy, but my first love is the pre-1850 American Frontier and that's where I'm pretty much staying at from now on......

Chuck,

I'm curious how you age your pieces so they look like they've been used, rather than just abused?

Whatever it is, I like how it does the job :lol:

Tom

Yeah, Chuck, we're surviving. Got down to 19 deg. the other night. Steam lines froze up in the chem. plant. No snow here but they got 3" up in College Station, which isn't that far north. Supposed to warm back up into the 60s this weekend, so hopefully can get back into the shop and be useful again.

Man you do some nice work. Your photography is an art form in itself too. Beautiful.

Cheers,

Andy

Your work is fantastic and I called Clint at Ironarnknives to make a damascus bowie for me so i can do a nice case! Your work inspires me and those blades on Wild Rose are super as well!