• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:muzzles and working dog gear
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google.

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:02 AM

My late wife was a librarian and she used "Goo Gone" to remove tape residue from books. I was wondering if anybody had ever used it on leather?

#2 rodeomic

rodeomic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Leather work, sports, rodeo, movies, taking naps, good food, reading, searching for the perfect Reuben sandwich.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:western tack and gear. minor repair
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:web search

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

My late wife was a librarian and she used "Goo Gone" to remove tape residue from books. I was wondering if anybody had ever used it on leather?

No, but I have used acetone. Not familiar with Goo Gone. Good luck!

Roger
Happy Trails!

#3 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Thanks. I'll report back.

#4 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

First test: It removed dried rubber cement cleanly. Next test is to do strips of untouched leather alternating with treated leather to see if dyes are affected.

#5 JohnBarton

JohnBarton

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:Playing pool, making cue cases, designing products, studying design, basically creating things - the more useful the better.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Billiard Cue Cases
  • Interested in learning about:Everything - mostly just interested in meeting great people
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:researching methods of case making

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:28 AM

You can use a light oil sometimes. I use olive oil or even facial oil (eeeeewww) to remove glue residue.
Support Quality. We are all humans. Buy the best no matter where it's made. That way everyone lives in harmony. Nature knows no flags.

#6 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

You can use a light oil sometimes. I use olive oil or even facial oil (eeeeewww) to remove glue residue.

Is that "spot cleaning" or should I do the whole piece to keep it even?

#7 JohnBarton

JohnBarton

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:Playing pool, making cue cases, designing products, studying design, basically creating things - the more useful the better.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Billiard Cue Cases
  • Interested in learning about:Everything - mostly just interested in meeting great people
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:researching methods of case making

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

Is that "spot cleaning" or should I do the whole piece to keep it even?

If you use a VERY VERY little bit then you can just do it on the area with the glue and the oil will dissipate quickly. What I like to do with olive oil is to put a little bit on a washcloth. Then I dab that on a piece of cardboard and THEN I rub my finger lightly on the washcloth and use my finger to gently remove the glue.

That seems to work most of the time.

Support Quality. We are all humans. Buy the best no matter where it's made. That way everyone lives in harmony. Nature knows no flags.

#8 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:58 AM

If you use a VERY VERY little bit then you can just do it on the area with the glue and the oil will dissipate quickly. What I like to do with olive oil is to put a little bit on a washcloth. Then I dab that on a piece of cardboard and THEN I rub my finger lightly on the washcloth and use my finger to gently remove the glue.

That seems to work most of the time.

I'll keep that in mind. Full day at the wolf sanctuary so it will be tomorrow before I get the test strips done on the Goo Gone.

#9 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Okay. I applied Goo Gone to clean leather and let it set overnight. I dyed the leather this morning and got no indication of stripes. So far so good. The stuff is really good on rubber cement, a vaguely damp paper towel cleaned dried cement off some leather quickly. I'm letting that dry to see if there's any "ghosts" from the glue when I dye it.

Oh, by the way, "your mileage may vary", so test it out for yourself to see if you get good usable results.

The above was inspired by a recent commercial. At the bottom it said, "Close course, professional driver, do not attempt." The car in question NEVER LEFT THE GARAGE. So we should not attempt to leave a parked car in a garage?

#10 Go2Tex

Go2Tex

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Saddle makin', holster makin', & my John Deere 2320
  • Leatherwork Specialty:custom saddles

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Rubber cement usually just rubs off anyway. It doesn't seem to penetrate. Try it on regular contact cement. About the best thing I've found for that is the stuff they sell at autoparts stores for removing road tar. Then lots and lots of deglazer will maybe allow the dye to penetrate the leather where the glue was, but don't count on it.
Brent Tubre

Brent S. Tubre Custom Saddles
http://www.brents-saddles.com

"The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. ".....Joseph Stalin

#11 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Rubber cement usually just rubs off anyway. It doesn't seem to penetrate. Try it on regular contact cement. About the best thing I've found for that is the stuff they sell at autoparts stores for removing road tar. Then lots and lots of deglazer will maybe allow the dye to penetrate the leather where the glue was, but don't count on it.

Okay, I'll try it on contact cement. Stand by for news!