• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:muzzles and working dog gear
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google.

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Anybody have a pattern for the regular and king cigarette cases? This is something I'm planning on doing for the Endangered Wolf Center store.

#2 tg lucas

tg lucas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Stained Glass, Portrait Painting, Playing Mandolin and Harmonica, Building my own custom Chopper
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Figure Carving
  • Interested in learning about:Everything I can

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

I have used the Tandy kits for patterns in the past, but altered them to be laced because I suck at sewing and they turned out pretty good.
Art is not a mirror to reflect the world but a hammer to shape it.

#3 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

I have used the Tandy kits for patterns in the past, but altered them to be laced because I suck at sewing and they turned out pretty good.

I rivet them most often. When I was doing them a lot I had two steel blocks that I slipped into the case to make riveting easier. They cost a few bucks apiece back in the '70s.

#4 Jordan

Jordan

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • Interests:Restoring old Motorbikes, Blues Guitar, Leather work, my hot tub, my health(such as it is), and I owe it all to my lord and savior J.C., he da man!
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Better than some but not as good as most on this site, but it don't deter me at all.
  • Interested in learning about:anything and everything
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:By Accident just surfing and poof there it was.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

I get the plastic cases at a smoke shop remove the lid and use them as an insert in the leather case I form around them. Basically make a paper pattern and fold it around the plastic box sew a second piece on the back to form the belt loop and snap closer flap.

Attached Files

#5 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Jordan, good idea. Have you ever used the flap-and-strap system like Tandy sells?

#6 Jordan

Jordan

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • Interests:Restoring old Motorbikes, Blues Guitar, Leather work, my hot tub, my health(such as it is), and I owe it all to my lord and savior J.C., he da man!
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Better than some but not as good as most on this site, but it don't deter me at all.
  • Interested in learning about:anything and everything
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:By Accident just surfing and poof there it was.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

Jordan, good idea. Have you ever used the flap-and-strap system like Tandy sells?

No, I did buy a cig case once for a pattern but did not like it so came up with my own.

#7 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

No, I did buy a cig case once for a pattern but did not like it so came up with my own.

Probably the best way to go when possible.

I've asked a smoker friend to cut me two wooden blanks, "regular" and "king". He'll send them over to me when they're ready and I can make a pattern from those. I prefer rivets to stitching, four rivets for regular and five for king on each side.

#8 dirtbag77

dirtbag77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:western floral
  • Interested in learning about:anything that ain't too creepy
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:friend

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

If you still need a pattern, I'm fairly certain Leather Secrets has one in it. I've been meaning to go make some copies of a few patterns in it and I can mail you a xerox. Sorry, but I still don't know how to use a scanner so you'd have to wait for regular mail.

#9 Gawdzilla

Gawdzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

If you still need a pattern, I'm fairly certain Leather Secrets has one in it. I've been meaning to go make some copies of a few patterns in it and I can mail you a xerox. Sorry, but I still don't know how to use a scanner so you'd have to wait for regular mail.

Thanks, I'll send you my addy via Messenger.