Sign in to follow this  
dkimberley

Stamping/embossing Full Words At One Time

Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone has a method or can suggest an embossing or stamping machine that can be used to stamp full words or phrases at one time into leather. (Think: The names that were stamped onto a strip of leather for pilots in WWII that were sewn onto their flight jackets.) I use small single letter hand stamps, and it's very difficult to get them lined up and spaced for a professional look and it's very time consuming. Also too expensive to have a stamp made up every time for what usually is a one-time use. But, I often get a request for a client's name or a phrase stamped into the finished product. It's driving me nuts! If anyone has any ideas - MUCH appreciated!

A machine that works for me is a Kingsley Embossing machine......

check them out on E-Bay.

You can always print out your word or phrase by using a word processor. Then you can use the paper as a pattern to trace onto your leather and hand tool the letters.

Infinity stamps sells this stamping device that can be loaded with individual letters to spell words. You have to buy their letter stamps though b/c their made to fit into the stamping devide that holds them. The whole system is pretty pricey but there are a couple of different options. I was considering getting one but the cost was too excessive for how often I would actually use it.

Thanks for the info.

I have seen a Kinsley on ebay, and attempted to contact the seller to get more information to see if it could only do the very thin metal foil strips or if it could do thicker material as well. Never heard back so thanks for the tip as now I know that answer.

Have not tried the tracing and stamping over - I might have a go at that, but still don't fully trust my ability to get things all lined up.

I'll also check out the Infinity set-up, but sounds like price may be a problem for me as well.

I almost got a British WWII dog tag stamp machine which was very simple to use and very small - basically a wheel with the letters and a hand pull - and it automatically moved the material for correct spacing for the next letter or space. Very small, not at all like the huge dog tag "typewriter" machines used by the US military of the same era. But, after 2 years of bargaining for it, the old boy who had it passed away and his partner sold it to someone else. Oh well!

Thanks again folks!

This is a custom piece I made for a customer with his name carved on it in the font of his choice. I made it on the word processor, blew it up to the proper size needed, and made a transparency to lay out on the leather. Hope this helps. Also, by backgounding the word stand above the piece in relief.

Mike Massey

post-0-045073800 1312125568_thumb.jpg

If you can get ahold of a printer's typeset letters (wow- talk about a Gutenberg dinosaur!) you can get/make a holder to line up letters that can spell out words via a shop press. Most printshops now use computers, but if you can find a shop that still has the typeset in the back room, maybe you can make a deal to acquire the stock. Most printers have sold off their letters for the value of the lead, but if you're lucky... I got some letters from just such a guy to use to stamp our initials in our stuff that is too small for our maker's stamp. Had I known he was going to go out of business, I would have tried to make a deal for a whole set. Oh, well, too late too smart, as the Amish say.

I use small single letter hand stamps, and it's very difficult to get them lined up and spaced for a professional look and it's very time consuming.

Like u at first I struggled with the line up. Then I thought - "What this really needs is a guide" taped down a double thickness of cardboard and bumped raised portion of each stamp aginst it Just before striking.