• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eyehunter

eyehunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

I am a very novice leather worker who has mainly worked on projects related to scouting. Our troop is in need of some axe head and saw blade covers. I was thinking about having the boys make them as opposed to purchasing. Any suggestions for simple patterns? I was also looking for suggestions on reasonable sites to purchase supplies?

#2 WinterBear

WinterBear

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Nothing...yet.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hey there. I am working on similar for my Troop. I won't be able to get to pictures or sketches until next week at the earliest (Eagle project this weekend and I'm in the middle of packing up house for a move), but the Troop has some old axe sheaths (hopefully they didn't get tossed this past week when they cleaned the storeroom). I am hoping to be able to use those old sheaths to build new ones, with a few improvements to hopefully avoid what caused the originals to fail in the first place, based on what I have learned here. (I found I shouldn't using rivets to keep the blade from damaging the stitching--I should use a nice thick welt instead! That way the blade doesn't get dulled or damaged by metal-to-edge content. Not to mention on the old sheaths that failed, most of them tore and/or rotted around the rivets. Some of the axes had pitting from contact with the rivets too.)

This guy had a pretty good idea for one sheath, the second axe with the stud closure: http://leatherworker...ndpost&p=204808. I might replace the stud with a heavy duty snap and reinforced attachments, as teen boys tend to be rougher than norm on the gear, and I can see the hole wearing through. The first one might also work with a buckle or snap arrangement, for the same reason.

I'd like to make similar to this for the hatchets: http://leatherworker...=1, but since the blade angle is a little different at the cutting face, I'd make it more of a pocket for the cutting edge. If you notice on that example, the bottom edge is not sewn. I think I'd like to have at least a stitch or two at the bottom edge, with the sheath slightly over-sized to accommodate. The strap will hold the cover on and in place.

Rob Bennett, RMB Custom Leather on this site, has a great sheath for WWII axes on his website (http://www.allaboutp...m799-26319.html). It's for a crash axe, so the sheath is short and has the bit for the spike. But the part I like is the double stitching.

Lastly, there is a tree-saw sheath here: http://leatherworker...=1
I used to be an Eagle, a good ol' Eagle too...

#3 BIGGUNDOCTOR

BIGGUNDOCTOR

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Leatherworking, blacksmithing, wood carving, ceramics, photography, cooking, shooting, everything outdoors, everything automotive, Member of the Vegas Artists Guild,
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Specialization is for insects.
  • Interested in learning about:Garment making-specifically a trench coat.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Easiest cover for a bow saw is a length of old garden hose split down the length on one side.

23 years with Troop 252, Fairfield CA
You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.

#4 eyehunter

eyehunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Thanks. We have used those in the past. I was looking for something a little nicer. Great dog picture btw!

Easiest cover for a bow saw is a length of old garden hose split down the length on one side.

23 years with Troop 252, Fairfield CA

#5 chancey77

chancey77

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:All things leather, motorcycle,music,tattoos,whiskey and general hell raising!
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Leather Wrapped Guitars,Pictorial,old school tattoo/sailor, purses motorcycle seats/bags ,wallets, belts and whatever else.
  • Interested in learning about:Techniques, Lace patterns, Patience
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:searching for techniques

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Here is a simple axe cover I have done:)
I also made some notes, there are a lot of axe cover designs out there, but this is just 1 easy one I have made.
Materials List for mine.
2 templates mirrored of each other 1/2" bigger than outline of the axe.
8 rivets
3 snaps
Tooling of your choice
hole punch
Lace and Lace needle...(just the way I did it)
If you make the template 1" bigger than the outline of the axe you could just rivet the surrounding edges and not lace them....But I like Lace:)

I hope this is easy enough, I was a scout back in the day:) So I did lots of fun stuff like this when I was young!
Good for yall to keep it alive!
Maybe the den fathers/mothers can get together one or 2 nights and make the templates and get everything mocked up so the kids can just put them together and have the fun part of it:)

Attached Files

Edited by chancey77, 11 February 2012 - 10:15 AM.