• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:leathercraft
  • Leatherwork Specialty:nil
  • Interested in learning about:Anything Sheridan style
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hello folks ,

I recently purchased a Chan Geer video on how to crave sheridan style , after he craves the leather he says he uses neatsfoot oil then lacquer .. Could any one tell me what he means by lacquer or what it is please
Thanks

Ron
I'd rather be a has been , than a never was at all

#2 electrathon

electrathon

Instructor

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Floral

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Clear-laq or wyo-sheen.

It used to be called neet-laq.

Try Sheridan Leather Outfitters

Chans video is probibly the best out there for learning Sheridan. He is a great teacher.

#3 ouchmyfinger

ouchmyfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hello folks ,

I recently purchased a Chan Geer video on how to crave sheridan style , after he craves the leather he says he uses neatsfoot oil then lacquer .. Could any one tell me what he means by lacquer or what it is please
Thanks

Ron

they make a few kinds now to replace what they used to use. clearlac, neatlac, and there is another that i have never used but i believe is the same called wyosheen. it is a finish that acts as a resist also for using the antique finishes available, then you usually do one more coat over the antique after you have wiped off the excess and let it dry. its an art and there are many spots on here going over the process

good luck

i used neatsfoot oil, clearlac and fiebings sheridan antique paste on this, i got them from springfield leather

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   399.57KB   158 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   326.66KB   134 downloads

#4 King's X

King's X

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts
  • Interests:For 2014 ~ Still trying to learn to draw my own patterns.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Anything Leather!
  • Interested in learning about:Old Western Floral Carving and its history~!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Springfield leather company sells 'Clear-Lac' which I use, but the cost and restrictions to your country may be an issue. Check out a product called 'RTC Sheridan Finish' by a company called Bee's Natural.
Greetings from Central Texas!

The Grain Side Up

#5 jesseh05

jesseh05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

they make a few kinds now to replace what they used to use. clearlac, neatlac, and there is another that i have never used but i believe is the same called wyosheen. it is a finish that acts as a resist also for using the antique finishes available, then you usually do one more coat over the antique after you have wiped off the excess and let it dry. its an art and there are many spots on here going over the process

good luck

i used neatsfoot oil, clearlac and fiebings sheridan antique paste on this, i got them from springfield leather

What about saddle lac,it comes as a spray. Would that work too? I tried it already and my project didnt turn out so good.

#6 ouchmyfinger

ouchmyfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

What about saddle lac,it comes as a spray. Would that work too? I tried it already and my project didnt turn out so good.

The spray will crack sometimes. I got great results by taking a damp paper towel to it when removing the antique and it left me with a great color.