benlilly1

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:motorcycle seats
  • Interested in learning about:All leather work

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Looking a purchasing a Singer 29K 51. What are the pros and cons to this machine? What will it handle and assure me I'm not making a mistake.

#2 Wizcrafts

Wizcrafts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • Interests:Leathercraft, contract sewing, Country-Western music, computer consulting and PC and website security and freelance Webmaster for hire.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Belts, custom holsters, knife sheaths, guitar straps, rifle slings, custom vests, pouches/cases, wallets/purses, weight lifting belts, contract sewing
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google search

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

Looking a purchasing a Singer 29K 51. What are the pros and cons to this machine? What will it handle and assure me I'm not making a mistake.

The Singer patchers are a perfect machine for sewing patches onto Biker's vests and jackets, especially onto sleeves. They are also good for repairing shoe uppers that have come unsewn with use. You can do all kinds of repairs and even install new zippers on a patcher.

You are pretty much limited to using #69 or #92 bonded thread. The bobbins are tiny. The feed is top only, via teeth under the presser foot. The maximum thickness it can sew is about 1/4 inch of soft to medium temper leather.
Posted IMHO, by Wiz

#3 benlilly1

benlilly1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:motorcycle seats
  • Interested in learning about:All leather work

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks Wiscrafts, So sewing motorcycle seats is a no no? This is what I would use it for most. Can you suggest one for the thicker leathers at a reasonable price?

#4 Wizcrafts

Wizcrafts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • Interests:Leathercraft, contract sewing, Country-Western music, computer consulting and PC and website security and freelance Webmaster for hire.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Belts, custom holsters, knife sheaths, guitar straps, rifle slings, custom vests, pouches/cases, wallets/purses, weight lifting belts, contract sewing
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google search

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Wiscrafts, So sewing motorcycle seats is a no no? This is what I would use it for most. Can you suggest one for the thicker leathers at a reasonable price?

A walking foot machine, with triple feed. It cound be a flat bed model, but a cylinder arm allows you to sew circular portions over the end of the arm, in a natural curve.

I use my Cowboy CB4500 to sew seats. I change the thread to #138, top and bottom and use a #22 or #23 needle.
Posted IMHO, by Wiz