#1 abn

abn

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Wallets, belts, and other accessories

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

For several years now, I've been a member of Tandy's Wholesale Club at the $35 Gold Level. I've always been curious about the break-even point of this membership -- ie, how much I have to spend at Tandy in order to start saving money.

Yesterday, I renewed my membership and purchased $111.98 worth of merchandise. I did the math, and this stuff would have cost $136.27 at retail. This ended up being an 18% savings (or $24.29). Looking at the individual line items, it seems Tandy offers Gold Members a 20% discount on most hardware, dyes, glues, etc. The savings on leather is somewhat less: the discount appears to hover in the area of 10-15%.

Obviously, the break-even point varies based on the mix of products you purchase. But for anyone considering the Wholesale Club, my math indicates an average 18% savings for Gold Members. So, it appears you have to spend roughly $200 at Tandy before you recoup the $35 membership fee.

#2 HellfireJack

HellfireJack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Technically you're correct. The math does work out to that. But in reality you're wrong because membership includes more than just a discount.

Not trying to bust your chops but you've forgetten to include the multiple offers you recieve throughout the year. I get about four free stamps a year. You usually get multiple "50% off one item" coupons as well. You also now recieve free "gift cards" for the leathercraft library.

At worst with the 50% coupons a smart shopper can recoup their membership by purchasing goods worth 70 bucks. At best with the free tools and gift cards you don't have to spend a penny to recoup it.

Edited by HellfireJack, 26 October 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#3 Studio-N

Studio-N

Leatherworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Craftwork of all sorts - woodworking, leatherworking, glasswork, everything except workwork.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Laser Engraver
  • Interested in learning about:Braiding

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

It's also going to be item specific. If you buy 18 craftstamps, you've saved $36 on what otherwise is $180 at retail.
Anything that saves money these days is definately worth a look.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"

#4 Curley Fryes

Curley Fryes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Gun Belts, holsters, book marks, book covers
  • Interested in learning about:Gun Belts, holsters, book marks, book covers

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm a gold club member and plus the discount, I get one free stamp a month, plus I goat a free ceramic swivel blade when I signed up. Paid for the cost of the $35 membership the first month.
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.....Wyatt Earp

#5 Cyberthrasher

Cyberthrasher

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:Shovelhead choppers and Blues Guitar
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Tooling, Guitar Straps, Wallets, Motorcycle accessories, etc...
  • Interested in learning about:Victorian and Figure carving, some more advanced coloring.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I forgot about the freebies there. Too bad I don't buy anything from Tandy. I wonder if Kevin at Springfield will start offering some of the same perks???

#6 abn

abn

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Not trying to bust your chops but you've forgetten to include the multiple offers you recieve throughout the year. I get about four free stamps a year. You usually get multiple "50% off one item" coupons as well. You also now recieve free "gift cards" for the leathercraft library.

Excellent point. I overlooked the value of the coupons and the free offers. So as HellfireJack mentions, a wise shopper could push the break-even point much lower than $200.

#7 Chief31794

Chief31794

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:Leather Work, Music, Grandkids.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Western Floral Carving, Lacing
  • Interested in learning about:Leather Craft
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google Search

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

If you get a business licence and provide it Kevin and/or Tandy, then the Gold from Springfield Leather and the Elite from Tandy are at no cost. If you're making and selling leather products then it doesn't cost much in most counties to get a license, in fact my business license is also free because I've a disabled Veteran (Georgia, I don't know about other states). However, to make my point the cost of a business license in most states is cheaper than the elite warehouse club cost and you get both memberships for the cost of a license. By the way, Ohio Travel Bag is easier to do business with if you have a business license.

Chief
"Life's too short to carry ugly leather"

#8 RoosterShooter

RoosterShooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Beekeeping, leatherwork, reloading, freelance writer, a jack of all trades and a master of none!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I joined the Elite Club at Tandy when I placed my first order for leatherworking supplies. I did the math. Without the Elite Club status I would have paid $450+ dollars. With the Elite Club status ... I got everything I wanted PLUS the cost of the membership at $150 for around $380. For me it was self explanatory.

Edited by RoosterShooter, 27 October 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#9 steadybrook

steadybrook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Saddle Maker
  • Interested in learning about:More saddle making
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:shop talk

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sounds great, but most of Tandy products are made off shore, and the quality is really bad.

#10 abn

abn

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Sounds great, but most of Tandy products are made off shore, and the quality is really bad.

I think the quality of the veg-tan leather and the Craftool stamps could be better, but if you visit a store in-person (and can hand-select your items), you're likely to find what you need at a decent price. Tandy's hardware (from screws to belt buckles) is top-notch, and the Eco-Flo line of dyes, glues, and finishes are preferred by many of us over the older, more toxic formulations.

Edited by abn, 01 November 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#11 DFWLeather

DFWLeather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Intenational Business Trade. Hobby: leather & machining.
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have the elite. Just watch the receipts closely. Many times I see where they don't always give you the discount on all items. So as you shop, look closely at what is discounted and what is not. Further, make sure you get the discounted price. You'll rarely be "undercharged". Been my experience...
All this work is getting in the way of me goofing off.

#12 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interested in learning about:ALL

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

hi, I'm a Gold Member for 3 years, but I've never got any free stamp or similar!!! How did you get them?
thanks a lot

#13 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Ash, those fliers you see in the mail? there's often a coupon for 1 free stamp. Sometimes it's one for $5 off leathercraft library ($10 for elite and businesses) . Never toss those flyers without looking really closely at them. :)
A teacher pointed at me with a ruler and said "At the end of this ruler is an idiot." I got detention when I asked "Which end?"

#14 JLSleather

JLSleather

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Interests:My babies, leathercraft, fishin'
  • Leatherwork Specialty:carving
  • Interested in learning about:carving, sewing, suppliers
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:search engine

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm not a fan of Tandy tools (don't be naive, some of the tools you buy elsewhere came from Tandy), but I get wholesale pricing just for having a registered business in Iowa (no membership fee). I buy quite a bit of leather there, but only if I can get there to pick it out myself. There Royal Meadow 3/4 oz is nearly flawless in a 22-25 foot side, carves well, and dyes just as nicely. It's a bit more 'blonde' than the 'russet' color you get lots of places, but I LIKE the pale color (lets me get more color combinations).

Dyes, finishes, adhesives, and most linings I get from S-T Leather out of St Louis.
Observation is 9/10 of the law ...

#15 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interested in learning about:ALL

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

Ash, those fliers you see in the mail? there's often a coupon for 1 free stamp. Sometimes it's one for $5 off leathercraft library ($10 for elite and businesses) . Never toss those flyers without looking really closely at them. :)

Hi, I've got only the 5$ for the leathercraft library, never heard about free stamps... I will look at flyers better! Thank you