Wanted to try one of Chaylor-Fennelli's interiors so I picked up their passport wallet interior. Constructive criticism welcome.

post-25665-0-29858900-1356755382_thumb.j

post-25665-0-17763400-1356755385_thumb.j

post-25665-0-88465100-1356755383_thumb.j

really nice, I only have 1 small thought & it is only my personal opinion, that is I would have tried to match the colour & size of the stitching around the edge to that on the interior, but it is still a lovely piece of work. well done.

I just ordered that same interior from Springfield.

Did you have any problems getting that wallet to stay shut? Did you sew it like a billfold and not connect the interior to the tooling leather around the fold?

I'm making one for my sister and wondering if I need to modify my design to accommodate a snap closure strap.

Thanks for any help.

No problems staying closed, and I did sew all the way around. You'd need to with this one, since that zipper in the middle open up directly onto the backside of the leather - so if you left a middle gap in your sewing anything you put in the zippered pocket would just fall out. I left the leather a little oversized and glued it around the interior while it was folded closed, then after I sewed it together I went back and trimmed off the excess leather at the side.

I think the final width of the leather ended up being 9 3/8" if that helps you at all.

looks nice.....but.....learn repition on the stitching and it would not look so uneven.....and just my opinion.....I am not a fan of edge paint.....

JMHO

Yes, that definitely helps. May still consider a strap/snap closure since it'll be a ladies item and they tend to put their wallets in their purses, rather than in a back pocket or a side pocket of a backpack, etc.

Great looking piece, BTW. I'm foreseeing the thread color issue for myself too since the interior doesn't seem to match Tandy's natural linen thread...will need to shop around, I guess.

Thanks for the advice!

looks nice.....but.....learn repition on the stitching and it would not look so uneven.....and just my opinion.....I am not a fan of edge paint.....

JMHO

Thanks. Stitching is something I know I still need to work on; it's better than when I started but clearly not where it should be.

That's not edge paint, though. Black sharpie then burnishing with saddle soap and canvas.

I like it a lot. I'll be darned, never thought of just buying the interior and doing my own thing on the outside. Good advice :)

I like it a lot. I'll be darned, never thought of just buying the interior and doing my own thing on the outside. Good advice :)

Thanks. I'd honestly prefer to be doing my own interiors, I'm just not there yet. Not a knock on the CF inserts which are very well made and high quality, but I'd rather be able to say I made something entirely from scratch. I've managed to pull it off on my last few larger projects but really need to try harder with wallet interiors.

I've had good luck with hand-stitching consistency by using a stitching groover, or whatever that thing is called. It's the one that lets you drag it along the edge of the leather, and it carves out a groove for stitching. I have to be careful at the corners, so I don't overcut the groove, but I use it before I punch the holes for stitching. I like the look of the diamond hole stitching, but I happened to have purchased the lacing hole punchers that are straight, so all the thread (I don't actually use lacing) lines up nicely into the groove and looks really even.

I like it, you gave me some ideas for a project of my own. I know you got some good feedback on your sewing, but to me it just adds character and shows that it was hand made, but thats just me. I do have to agree with the above post about edge paing. Never was a big fan, but again thats just me.

I think it looks great and someone is going to get alot of good years out of it.

It really improved my stitching when I decided to be consistent at where I hold my thread before I stitch through with the second needle. E.g. started with left hand on outside of leather, hold thread towards outside edge, go through the inside hole (where thread is from first stitch) pull tight. Next hole I do the same thing. Start on outside backing, hold thread towards edge as I go through with second needle (right hand). The consistency will always make it look clean. I love the tooling by the way. Its beautiful work. I am also a fan of different color thread. I think as long as we keep it all art work, it all stays original.