• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jeremyqmartin

jeremyqmartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hello, I'm a noob who wants to make a satchel. I got a quarter shoulder hide and some soft pigskin for lining. I still need the basic tools.

I have some black Feibings dye that I used on some suspender button attachments for pants. I also got some coffee color Eco Flo from Tandy.

What's the main difference in these brands?

#2 glockanator

glockanator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

I have only used eco floonce and then threw it away. I use only fiebings dye. Some have trouble with the USMC black wanting to rub off onto clothing but I have found that if you dye then buff the hell out of it and then seal you won't have any problems.

#3 jeremyqmartin

jeremyqmartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Thanks, I think I read Fiebings is alcohol and Eco-flo is water based?

I tried them both on a test piece of the thick shoulder an the Fiebings soaked right in but the Eco just kinda smeared around, I wasn't sure it absorbed until I wiped it off.

#4 electrathon

electrathon

Instructor

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Floral

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thanks, I think I read Fiebings is alcohol and Eco-flo is water based?

I tried them both on a test piece of the thick shoulder an the Fiebings soaked right in but the Eco just kinda smeared around, I wasn't sure it absorbed until I wiped it off.

I think you nailed the differance. Fiebings soaks in and EcoFlo sits on the surface. The differance will really show in a year when it starts to wear.

Aaron

#5 Studio-N

Studio-N

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Craftwork of all sorts - woodworking, leatherworking, glasswork, everything except workwork.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Laser Engraver
  • Interested in learning about:Braiding

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Fiebings = works. Eco-Foo-Foo = crap.
nuf said.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"

#6 jeremyqmartin

jeremyqmartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks again. Another thing is I applied Eco-Flo Satin Sheen sealer to both dyed sections of the test piece.

After it dried, the part with the Fiebings would crack like crazy if I bent it. The actual leather would crack. The section with the Eco dye seemed ok, still flexible

#7 NVLeatherWorx

NVLeatherWorx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Belts, wallets, checkbook covers, purses/handbags, etc.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Never heard of the Eco-Flo acrylic causing that issue with cracking but if you use Fiebing's, and I highly recommend that you do, then you need to use the Acrylic Resolene that they make as the finish. It is a much better product and does not create any issues. Might I also highly suggest that prior to any dyeing/staining, etc. that you first replenish the lost oils from the casing and stamping/tooling processes by applying a good coating of Neetsfoot Oil and letting it penetrate (dry) overnight. Does wonders to the leather.

#8 Matt S

Matt S

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

Being alcohol-based you need to oil your leather after Fiebings dries; the alcohol destroys much of the grease added by the tanner, which stops cracking.

#9 ReneeCanady

ReneeCanady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Leather mugs
  • Interested in learning about:Everything

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

My two cents.....I have only been leather working about a year and Tandy pretty much talked me into the Eco Flo. I have used it since. However, I have noticed things like cell phone cases and certain belts I have made are now fading really fast. I don't care what anyone says about antique gel LOL I actually use the med brown gel as my dye and it holds up nicely and is the BEST shade of brown to my liking. I have been curious to try the fiebings for a while now so I tried it the other day. I was very impressed at how it actually soaked INTO the leather which is not something I was used to seeing. I think that once I figure out the process of making the mixute of dye vs alcohol to make it to color I want, I will be in love with the fiebings as well as the gel.

#10 Cyberthrasher

Cyberthrasher

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:Shovelhead choppers and Blues Guitar
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Tooling, Guitar Straps, Wallets, Motorcycle accessories, etc...
  • Interested in learning about:Victorian and Figure carving, some more advanced coloring.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I think that once I figure out the process of making the mixute of dye vs alcohol to make it to color I want, I will be in love with the fiebings as well as the gel.

Just holler ;)

#11 jrny4wrd

jrny4wrd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:tooling
  • Interested in learning about:dyes and finishes
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

I had many problems with eco-flo but that is what I was introduced to, being new. After a while I decided to go with fiebings. Finally, I figured out a little something. Tandy's sample pack of eco-flo is not the professional grade. That makes a huge difference. You hould dampen the leather b4 using the pro. eco-flo so that it will penetrate further. That is something that took over a year to figer out because Tandy simply couldn't answer why the dye kept coming off so easy. well one out of 6 people I talked to told me. The sample is crap and more for indoors. One thing I don't get is if you were a business, wouldn't you want to have samples as good as it gets? Same with sales. Thats how they get rid of their crappy stuff. I would think they would want to use sales and samples to get business and people trying new things, not to ruin their rep.

#12 jeremyqmartin

jeremyqmartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Update: I have realize that the brown Eco-Flo in question that I used was actually Hi-Lite, not the dye!

I used it on my first quick project, an iphone 5 case, and I got a nice dark coat that kept coming off when I rubbed on the Satin Sheen. I was an UGLY faded brown and you could see the HIDEOUS water stains from where I molded the sides. I followed Ian Atkinson's Iphone 4 case tutorial on Youtube. I used WAY more water than he did, I got it all up on the front face of the case. I probly shoulda soaked the whole thing.

Anyway, I tried using rubbing alcohol to strip it down some and then I used my black fiebings LeatherColors (the politically correct Low VOC CA dye). It looks better, kinda blotchy though and some of the brown shows through in small areas.

#13 SooperJake

SooperJake

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:search engine

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

keep in mind there are more than one "Fiebing's", and they are different.
Once you know what the magician knows, it isn't magic anymore. www.corvusleather.com

#14 mrdabeetle

mrdabeetle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Hats, armor, reenactment leathers
  • Leatherwork Specialty:renaissance and medieval armor
  • Interested in learning about:tooling, coloring leather, hardening leather
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:http://tombanwell.blogspot.com/

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

I have had a lot of problems with Eco-Flo dyes and stains recently. I don't think they have a very strict quality control. Sometimes the colors are vastly different between bottles. I got a bottle that was like jell-o inside. I diluted it and used it anyway because I was in a rush. I had to eat the cost of materials and start over. On the other hand, when the batch is good, I get great results. I absolutely despise the Eco-Flo Professional edge dressing. I get better looking results with a Sharpie marker.

#15 jeremyqmartin

jeremyqmartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Here is the project on which I used the Eco-Flo Hi-Lite. My first real project. (Before this I had made some black button attachments for a pair of suspenders. I also replaced a couple loops on a cheap beg for my wife. Both of these were with scrap leather)

I rushed this iPhone case cuz I was excited to get something done. My dream project is a satchel/briefcase. On the iphone case, you can see the water stain on front, also how most of the Hi-Lite rubbed off when I applied the Satin Sheen. I put Fiebings Black LeatherColors on the sides and burnished with the satin sheen.

First Case 4

First Case 3

First Case 2

First Case 1

Since then I rubbed it with rubbing alcohol to strip it a bit and put the black fiebings on instead. I need to upload those pics.