Dyeing Scuffed Leather?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 needles

needles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:making everything ever made in leather, as soon as i have learned enough to enable me to stop playing with scraps...
  • Leatherwork Specialty:none yet
  • Interested in learning about:as much as i can,

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi guys

how can you stop the scuffed bit of leather soaking up more dye than the surrounding un-scuffed leather...... as you know, scuffed leather soaks up more dye, more readily than leather in good condition, so was wondering does anyone know of a way to still use the scuffed stuff and being able to get a reasonably even coar of dye on it?//
if that makes sense

thanks
al

#2 Bob Blea

Bob Blea

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Interests:Leatherworking, cooking, my kids.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Floral Carving and notebooks.
  • Interested in learning about:Case making, saddle making
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:web surfing

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi Al,

I think that is a tough one, and based on the fact nobody else is answering I'm assuming there isn't a good answer here. It the leather is truly scratched so the grain surface is broken a bit, that is probably opening it up to allow more dye to penetrate. I can't think of a good way to stop that without using something to stop up the 'broken' surface (like a resist) but then you would have the opposite problem.

You might try applying the dye in that area with a brush and applying in light thin coats. That might give you enough control to make the area look even. I've seen light dye coats used to make very subtle color gradients in leather, so I think it might work with some practice and luck, but I haven't tried it myself.

Bob
There are always possibilities....

Bob Blea
C and B Leathercrafts
Fort Collins, CO

Visit my shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/CandBLeather?ref=si_shop