Sign in to follow this  
5shot

Stitching Pony/clam Question

How is this style of Stiching Pony supposed to function? Are the jaws supposed to provide sufficient tension for stitching and then the cam is used to release the work?

I have one that my dad gave me, and I expected it to have a way to tension the jaws, not release them. Also, is it supposed to have a base of some kind?

Thanks,

John

antique-stitching-clam.jpg

Edited by 5shot

Hi John,

The jaws on this style of pony are indeed supposed to provide their own tension; the lever is used to open them.

In the picture it looks as though yours have "relaxed" a bit over time and won't close all the way or they could have been made for heavier items. If you want to use it just put a strap around the narrow part and tighten it up that way (a ratchet type buckle would work best).

Those ponies don't have a base, they were meant to be held between your thighs while you were seated on a chair. You could always mount it to a low bench if you like a fixed clamp.

Hope this helps!

Black Dogg

You could use a carriage bolt through the jaws with a wing nut removing the cam. Also you could screw a short 2x6 on the bottom forming an upside down T and sit on it. Possibilities are endless, those jaws have a very nice shape.

Thanks for the replies. That one isn't mine, but mine is just like it. After doing some more research, I wet the jaws in a tub of hot water, then blocked the lower half and clamped the jaws shut for a week. I sanded it all down, lined the jaws with leather and oiled it up. Looks and works great now.