Waynger1

Singer 211 Clone Hook Timing?

I have a Mitsubishi DU-105 that I can't find a manual for anywhere.

It has triple feed and looks like a 211 walking foot machine....kinda.

It sews very nicely on 4 - 8 layers of sunbrella, but when trying to sew 2 layers, the bobbin thread just lays along the bottom of the material, not pulled up at all.

Under all conditions, I must run massive top tension to bury the bottom thread, and the bobbing carrier makes a violent movement as the thread pulls free from the bottom needle side of the bobbin carrier( I think this binding makes it act like bobbin tension is too high)

I have the bobbin tension set so low you can pull it with no effort at all.

Anyway, looking at the bobbin carrier/hook it appears the take up lever is taking up too soon, when the hook has pulled the top thread half way around the bobbin carrier, thread is drum tight, and the machine is difficult to turn using the handwheel, the thread then fully slides away from the hook and then slightly hangs on the bobbin carrier and the hook at the tail end of the plate that holds the bobbin carrier in the hook.

I can't find any timing marks and there are no marks on the needle bar.

Wondering about advancing the hook so the thread will be past the tightest point before the takeup lever really pulls hard on it/

Anyone have any suggestions?

Wayne

I had a similar problem with my 153 w 103. It turned out that it was 1 tooth off on its timing belt. I took the belt off the bottom and jumped it one tooth, then I retarded the hook back to where it should have been and readjusted the tensions and it runs much smoother now. Gump.

OK, I will try that, I assume advance the lower unit? Normally can one fudge the belt towards the edge of the lower pulley, or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Well I changed the timing, and repositioned the needle bar but started tearing the upper thread, so I put it back.

Loosened up the top tension and I have to say the thread moves smoothly over the bobbin / hook, but a small loop still hangs on the bobbin carrier for a fraction of a second as the take up is almost fully up. I think this snagging is what is causing the problem.

how tight should the bobbin carrier fit in the hook? Mine has maybe .025 radial clearance, the hook itself is tight in it's bushing

Thanks

Sounds like you need to adjust your bobbin case latch opener. If you observe your machine with some fabric in but not covering your hook, turn the machine by hand and watch the hook pick up the needle thread, travel over and around the bobbin basket, and look for a flat curved piece that contacts the bobbin case. It's function is to rotate the bobbin basket ccw ever so slightly to allow the needle thread to pass between the notch in the bottom of the throat plate and the small tab that sits in that notch. The latch opener must give your needle thread enough room to pass cleanly and set the stitch. If the adjustment is off, you'll hear the bobbin basket chatter. It will also wear out your throat plate. I'm attaching a picture from a 211 which should help you check this setting.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-57623100-1415862192_thumb.j

Hi Eric,

nice to "read" you again. I had no sewing problem but your post made me check the settings at my 111G and I adjusted the opener to open a bit earlier and indeed the little chattering is gone - I always though the hook is a bit worn due to the age of my machine but seems it isn't. :) THANK YOU!!!

You're welcome my friend. This adjustment on verticle hook machines is often misunderstood. On your 111 and 211's, and most of the clones, you need to also add a drop of oil where the hook contacts the bobbin basket. In the factory, because these machine were run at high speed, they require oiling ever two bobbins. It will really smooth out a machine.

Regards, Eric

Eric, thank you for the input,

It is currently adjusted to rotate the bobbin basket ever so slightly so as to center the tab in the groove in the throat plate. even after playing with the opener adjustment, It still is not pulling the thread "cleanly" over that tab. the basket seems to get jarred 2 times during the take up of thread. It looks to me like after the thread finally gets between the tab and the throat plate, it trys to hang again at the trailing end of the part that secures the basket with two small screws.

Yesterday I slightly raised the hook/basket/bobbin to .030 vertical clearance because I saw that spec somewhere for a Singer, it was about .045 probably made things worse but I was wondering if the tab was so low that it was trying to wedge under the throat plate and pinch the thread, but no luck.

I can go back and drop the hook to the .045 vertical clearance position and play with the opener some more.

Thanks Wayne

I have heard that "clatter" before on my Consew 226.

Now I know what to look at,

Is there a clearance spec, or just assure the tab is centered to the throat plate?

Somewhere I saw .032 vertical clearance

I put in a new Hook/bobbin basket and now the basket does not bounce around at all. this new hook assembly has less clearance for the basket to bounce around.

But, it still seems to take WAY too much top tension to seat the stitch. Damm, I wish I knew what I'm doing.