Cowboy Crafts Online

What You Need to Build a Saddle

Hey everyone I was thinking I think there is alot of people finding out about the site that have never built a saddle but might want to. What do you guys think about telling what the basic set of tools needed to build a saddle? I am going to go to the shop tomarrow and pick out the things I use the most and post them tomarrow.

Ashley

Ashley,

Good idea. One thing I would like to see is sources for some of these things too. Some of the more obscure things can be hard to find. If there is some maker's version of a particular tool that works better for someone, list the maker. If it is an oldie that is an ebay find, inherited, or traded for, let us know who made it. Say you like one version of a splitter better than another, tell us. If it is something you made, cool. We can all trade plans. When we burn out this candle, then we can start one on cool things, like Greg's 18" splitter.

Hey everyone I was thinking I think there is alot of people finding out about the site that have never built a saddle but might want to. What do you guys think about telling what the basic set of tools needed to build a saddle? I am going to go to the shop tomarrow and pick out the things I use the most and post them tomarrow.

Ashley

Hi Ashley

Sounds like a great idea. You post your list and everyone else can add to it with their personal favorites.

I wonder how many will say "Six Pack" :cheers:

Seriously, a realistic list will be very helpful and probably save people some money in their initial set up.

Blake

I forgot today that I had to take the kids to school to get registered. I didnt get to go to the shop. I plan on thinking about what I need to list tomarrow. I am sure I am going to leave some things out, but I will to the best I can.

Ashley

I just went out and went through the tools and tried to condense it down to the bare bones must haves.

I narrowed it down to something like this.

1. #1 edge tool

2. single creaser/tickler

3. A few awls of different sizes

4. boot knife with grooves cut into the handle for use as a creaser

5. Crew/slot punch suitable for 5/8" strapping (this can at a push be used for 1/2" or by cutting 2 slots can be used on larger strapping but this is to me a last resort

6. burnishing stick and iron for hot burnishing

7. Dixon head knife and old osborne round knife

8. small T square

9. seat awl

10. needle nosed pliers

11 cut throat razor (skiver)

12. smasher.

13. pricking wheels and carriage

14. broken glass in place of a spoke shave

15. compass

16. adjuctable racer/stitch groover

17. set of clams

18. assorted bones for slicking and yet more burnishing

19. skirt shave (I'm not sure what the American equivalent of this tool is but it is like a wide edge tool).

20. home made gadget for stitching leather slide loops.

21. loop sticks

22. bulldog pliers

23. plough guage

For me that is the basic tools. I then include in the must haves

edge slicking stuff made out of wood glue and water

home made saddle soap

home made dyes of various shades

floor wax or cabinet makers wax (beeswax/canauba wax concoction)

latex/rubber cement

eucalyptus sap goop (works like gum tragacanth)

various bulldog clips

I'm sure there are other tools/gadgets I missed and will endeavour to take some pics

Barra.

Edited by barra

Now this list is bare bones what I think it would take to build a saddle. I am leaving some tools out like bag/slot punches, because you can punch 2 holes and then cut in between to make the slot for example. Here is my start.

Round knive - mine is from J Cook Blades

Bench knive - I have JWP and J Cook Blades

Draw knive - get an old osborn off ebay they are better then the ones you buy new

set of 1 -12 drive punches - CS Osborn

Rawhide Mallet

Rawhide Maul

Saddlers Hammer - I started with a Osborn then when to a JWP

Smooth Face Hammer - Osborn or JWP

Sewing Awl - have to call Bob Douglas

# 3 or 4 round edger - Osborn low end, Ron tools, Barry King, JWP, and Bob Douglas High end

Tape Measure - local Lumber yard

Square - again Lumber yard

Yard Stick - lumber yard

Some type of hand skive - cheap potato pealer type from tandy/tlf or spoke shave

Bench top Skive - I have an old Osborn from ebay

glue pot

4 carpenter awls - lumber yard

wing dividers

sewing needles - call Sheridan Leather Outfitters

2 different size rosset cutters or take a drive punch grind off one side and cut out rossets that way - Bob Douglas, Osborn, or Weaver leather

old ceramic door knob - antique buisness

Cantle pliers - osborn or JWP

One last thing buy JWP how to build a saddle DVD. you will learn alot from it

I think with those tools you could build a saddle, again there are other tools that you will have to buy to make work faster, but these I think you can not do with out. Also some things you are going to have to build for your self like a draw down stand.

I'm not a saddler, but most of the leather shops I've been in have music, coffee and a big dog or two, taking up most of the room on the floor, never flinching when he's stepped over or something falls. Warning, I had a dog that mistook a 9 oz rawhide mallet for a doggie lollipop.

In a leather shop, often overlooked is the business aspect of things, too.

A list of accounts. Make a card for each of your customers and consult it every time they call. Write down things you need to know on the card so you don't have to ask the same questions again. Log your invoice numbers and you'll know what you did for them the last time they called. (Thank you Judy Cobb!)

Invoices/reciept book

A ledger or business software

A dedicated checking account

A big sign out front

A tax number from the state w/ any licenses you need, and forms filed

telephone/email/website/fax

A marketing plan

An pen that writes and tablet by the phone to take notes

An attorney, accountant & insurance agent you trust

And a water bowl for the dogs who are always in the way, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Johanna

Seems like everyone forgets a rigging gage.

The best sorce for a complete starter set of saddle building tools can be found in the Stolhman Saddle Making Encylo. Vol 1 and 2. Also includes plans for building what can't be bought.

I find "Old George" to be invaluable for tooling swells. I believe there is an articulating draw down stand that can be had for a very high end substitute.

I made my own chinaman, smashers, welt jigs, ground seat jig, rigging gage and many more that I can't think of at present.

I modified many existing marketed tools, and found a lot of stuff at flea markets and used tool outfits that can be reworked to suit a need.

Being a fabricator by day time trade does help. My machining skills have served me well in tool making efforts.

I would highly recommend the Stolhman books to anyone just getting started.