• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Craw

Mike Craw

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Leather working, Wood working (Period Furniture making, 18th Century methods and tools)
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Custom Saddles/repair, gunleather
  • Interested in learning about:Boot making.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:53 PM

My former neighbor came over a couple weeks before he transferred out to his agency's (my former agency) Headquarters in Washington, D.C. and handed me a King Ranch catalog. It was opened to a page with some brief cases and satchels on it, and he pointed to one that looked like a saddle bag. He asked me if I could make him one. I told him that I probably could, but it would probably cost as much or more as just ordering it from the book. He said, "I want to make a statement when I get to Headquarters, so I want it tooled!" When I asked how much of a statement he wanted to make, he just laughed and said, "Surprise me."

When I mailed the bag to him, he was surprised, and he said he's made quite a statement in every meeting he has attended. He is still really happy with it, and it's one of the few thing I've done that I'm fairly happy with, too.

Attached Files

My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman

#2 freak

freak

Bow Chicka Bow Wow!

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:i might be....
  • Leatherwork Specialty:waste
  • Interested in learning about:how to read

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

i think i would be more then fairly happy if i made something that nice.

Very nice !! Do have any more pics of it ?
It takes more then one freak to have a true freakshow. So take a seat , the show is about to start.

Check out the freakSHOW

#3 Roger

Roger

"beezachoppa"

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Interests:leather, motorcycles
  • Leatherwork Specialty:motorcycle seats n bags
  • Interested in learning about:maybe some sheridan style tooling
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:one of the yahoo groups

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

very nice looking bag!
do you have any other pics? any pics of the inside???
Posted Image

#4 electrathon

electrathon

Instructor

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Floral

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

I like it!

I would like to see the inside/side views too.

#5 Mike Craw

Mike Craw

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Leather working, Wood working (Period Furniture making, 18th Century methods and tools)
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Custom Saddles/repair, gunleather
  • Interested in learning about:Boot making.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. To tell the truth, I was just happy to get it done and shipped to him. I had never made a bag before and had only the catalog photo and description to go on, so I just made up the inside. I sewed the whole thing inside-out, with two dividers, the front and the back making three interior sections. Inside the front panel is a series of pockets for pens, pencils, and a calculator - because that's what the catalog said it had.

I had a fine time with the white poster board background. If the background stayed up, the bag fell over. If the bag stayed where I put it, the background slipped. If they both stayed put, I didn't frame it right. Bottom line, I have about twelve other shots of the outside and never gave a thought to the inside. That never dawned on me until after I dropped the package off at UPS and started going through the photos.
My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman

#6 BruceGibson

BruceGibson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Saddlemaking/Gunleather/Rodeo Equipment-Chaps, CC Gunbelts, etc.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

That's a hell of a nice statement! Awesome work, Mike!
"Don't squat with your spurs on."
GibsonProrodeo
GibsonGunleather

#7 mudman

mudman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:43 PM

What a statement!!

#8 Dan Hammons

Dan Hammons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:I guess I would consider myself a tooler more than anything else.There is just something about taking a smooth flat piece of leather and turning it into something to be proud off.I am allways trying something I havn't tooled before just to see if I can do it.Sometimes I think my best work is done when I'm just tooling something I want to do. Probably because it doesn't matter if I mess up so I try more things and take risks . I have more Patterns and Ideas than I will ever have time to get done but I will try to get to them one of them being a coffee table.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Clocks,Photo Albums,Pictures,Memo Pads,Purses, Gun Slings Clutch Purses

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

That is one sharp looking bag !! Awesome job!
If you haven't got time to do it RIGHT How are you going to find the time to do it OVER ! Dan Hammons http://highcountryleatherart.com/

#9 ETW Grumpy

ETW Grumpy

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Not good enough yet to specialize
  • Interested in learning about:Everything!!

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

Definitely something to be proud of. I want to do one when ( if ) I ever get time.