18 replies to this topic

#1 greg gomersall

greg gomersall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:saddle maker

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

Latest saddle I just finished. It is a 15 " Taylor with a wood post horn. Glenn Christman made the tree and Dave Alderson made the Sterling concho's, rope strap buckle, and sterling and gold frog. The inlaid seat and bucking rolls are alligator. Greg

P.S.
Denise thanks for the posting instructions and thank you to my wife Cyndi for figuring out how to follow them.

Attached File  Picture_0104.jpg   620.29KB   256 downloadsAttached File  Picture_0103.jpg   628.7KB   318 downloads
Attached File  Picture_0105.jpg   522.94KB   240 downloadsAttached File  Picture_0106.jpg   591.67KB   254 downloads

#2 bruce johnson

bruce johnson

Saddlery & Tack Moderator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

Greg,
Ring the bell on this one. Nice work. I like the way the buckle is fastened for the rope strap. I am guilty of running them up from under the front jockey and have that little lump. I can make out the border stamp and the block, but what is the filler between the blocks on the seat jockeys and fenders? The alligator looks good. That steer can feel pretty good about donating its hide to make something that looks this good too. Thanks for posting this.
Bruce Johnson
Malachi 4:2
"the windshield's bigger than the mirror, somewhere west of Laramie" - Dave Stamey
Leather Work and Leather Tools - www.brucejohnsonleather.com

#3 D.A. Kabatoff

D.A. Kabatoff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Saddlemaking

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

Hey Greg,

Absolutely stunning saddle. Nice balance of floral and geometric. Really like the rawhide buckstitching on the fork very subtle. When are you going to sell me that four heart Don King border stamp... I got a nice 3 heart one I might consider trading you for...I think it's probably more valuable than yours so I might need something extra with the deal. Just joshin... thanks again for the stamp... probably going to use it on my current project.

Darc

#4 Beaverslayer

Beaverslayer

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts
  • Interests:Ancient History
    Native Artwork
    Website Design
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Custom Clothing Design/Hand Lace
  • Interested in learning about:Rawhide Braiding

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:15 AM

Simply beautiful Greg, you saddle makers always amaze me at the detail. Great work and thanks for sharing the pics.

Ken
Beaverslayer Custom Leather
Wearable Works of Art

https://www.facebook...erCustomLeather

#5 Don101

Don101

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Old West Gunleather, Collecting Old West Memorabilia, History of the West, Re-enacting the wild west, Gunspining, Oil painting, and after all that when there is time left over my family.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:gunleather

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:10 AM

now that is some fantastique workmanship and i love the way you have combined the stamps to make such an interesting pattern, Don

#6 Don

Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Building saddles, chaps, motorcycle seats, really anything out of leather. I also love any kind of art, particullarly graphite pencil drawing.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Saddle Maker

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

Holy Cow! That is great work Greg. I love the Geo mixed with the floral...you do a much better job of making it all come together and flow than I do. I really like the silver frog plate on the housings...that is first class.

#7 greg gomersall

greg gomersall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

Darcy I've already got a 3 heart King border stamp just like the one I got you so if you want my 4 heart your gonna have to come to my estate auction (don't book any flights yet).

Bruce in between the geometric stamps is a flower center I got from Don King 5 or 6 years ago. It was a prototype for an idea he had and as far as I know it is the only one he made. Don made the geometric I used on this saddle as well. The breast collar dee and rope strap buckle tab are the same piece of leather. The rope strap buckle just has a hook on the back like a belt buckle. The weight of your rope keeps it tight and you just have to pull down on the tail of the strap to undo it. Works real slick. Greg

#8 steve mason

steve mason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Custom Saddle Maker

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

Greg;

That saddle is absolutly top shelf. Good work, your lines are balanced, the aligator is awsome, and one great job with the carving. I like how you did the inskirt riggin(I may have to pick your brain a little on that some day)

Good wook
check out www.stevemasonsaddles.com
check out my saddle blog

#9 The Major

The Major

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Western Floral Carving<br />Sheridan<br />Fantasy Art<br />Tribal Art<br />Biker Gear<br />Police Gear<br />Everything but Saddles and Shoes
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Willing to try anything once

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

Holy cow that is nice. I hope you plan on showing that at some competitions.
Shawn Zoladz (The Major)
dba Major Productions
Everything Leather
Saddles and Shoes Excluded

You can lead me. You can follow me. Or you can get the hell out of my way.
-Gen. Geo. S. Patton

#10 greg gomersall

greg gomersall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

Major; wish I could of kept it for a while but UPS came today and its on its way to the lady that ordered it. Greg

#11 mudman

mudman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

Excellent workmanship. Thanks for sharing.

#12 AndyKnight

AndyKnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Professional saddle and tree maker

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

Hey Greg, I see you are still making some good looking rigs.. I just signed up to this forum tonight and saw your saddle. I may have to get you to send me some alligator skin...it is hard to get up here.

Andy
Andy knight
Visit My Website

#13 greg gomersall

greg gomersall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:34 PM

Andy welcome on board. You will have to make your own arrangements to get gator into Canada. It can be done but there is a lot of red tape involved. My suggestion would be to get it shipped to somewhere in Washington and then pick it up yourself and forget to declare it at the border, kind of risky but it sure is nice stuff to work with. A belly just wide enough for the inlay will usually give you a set of rolls as well and run you from $375.00 and up. Good to hear from you. Greg

#14 Alan Bell

Alan Bell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Rawhide braiding, saddlery, leather work

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:02 PM

Greg, Absolutely Fantastic!! I can't think of anything else to say that would do justice!
Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

For the battle will be hotter and you won't get no supper!

Bob Marley - Natty Dread

#15 Luke Hatley

Luke Hatley

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  • Interests:'ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M GONNA TIE ONE ON"
  • Leatherwork Specialty:18 TH century leather work- Buckskinning - SASS- Leather Repair.

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

GREG THE SADDLE IS ASWUM.. THE OWNER WILL BE PROUD..
Now for the small detail.... Tell us about that Saddle stand.
I think i have it figured out, but would like you to tell us about it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Luke