Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'wade saddle'.
Found 3 results
Hello All, Finished this saddle last weekend. It has just two coats of light oil. Specs are: 16" seat, Ben Swanke tree (4-1/4" x 90 w 5x12 cantle), Guadalajara horn, daisy stamp, 5" monels, in skirt rigged - Placed between 7/8ths and 3/4 position. Still lots of imperfections - Dented cantle sewing cantle binding - Awl snapped and I jabbed handle into dish...Also, the seat has a little too much rise to it by my eye. Wish I had of got about an extra 1/4" out up front... Look forward to any critiques folks might have - Always looking to improve my work. Thanks - Ron L
Hello All, I have finally finished saddle number 2 - This has been a long project as we moved house twice in the space of time this was built in (Joy of being a house fixer upper type). I would appreciate comments on this saddle - Specifically I am looking for things that I have done in ignorance that are not up to scratch. Helpful criticism is looked for and will be valued! This saddle was built on a Sonny Felkins tree (Quality MFG.), all Hermann Oak leather, Jeremiah Watt hardware, Amish stirrups, and all stainless steel buckles, nails and screws. The seat is an all leather ground seat. Rigging is placed about 7/8 and is flat plate type. Skirts are butterfly with 1" bark tanned shearling. Sewed this up on a Cobra Class 4 sewing machine. Cantle and horn are stitched by hand with an awl and two needles at 6 spi. Not shown is a 40" x 6" rear cinch I built for it too. Glue used was Barge. Hermann Oak leather seemed to have a few 'vein' type markings. Tried to eliminate them but there are a couple on left seat jockey. I still need to get better at burnishing edges. Don't much care for that task. Thanks for viewing these - I look forward to suggestions for improvement. Ron L
Hello All, This project is pretty much wrapped up now - Assembled this last night. I'd like to say thanks to all who helped me out on this project and to all who pointed out things I should do different next time - This forum/website has been the most valuable education tool to me so far... Now, I would like honest criticism from all of you saddle makers out there - I want to know what to do different /better next time. I am open to all critiques on fit, shape, function etc... A few things I have noticed: 1. Rear jockeys - Not tight enough - Didn't cut them deep enough so very hard to get them really tight. Next time will add 1/2" extra. 2. Rigging plates - Too round on front edge and too far up fork - not quite as clean as ideal @ front end. 3. Cheyenne roll - Stitching on back looks like hell. Need to really practice on that, 4. Rear rigging plate set too high. Caused issues with seat ear and saddle strings 5. 13" Wide cantle - Probably do a 12.5" or maybe even 12" next time. 5. Plug rigging plates next time to eliminate bump @ rigging plate. 6. Consider using 2.5" stirrup leathers. Here are the pics I snapped yesterday evening - Oil is still evening out. Once again, thanks to all who helped me on this! Kind Regards, Ron L