paulburnett

Carving Lesson 101

40 posts in this topic

I am looking forward to reading through all of these and putting your techniques to work for me. Like the others, I too appreciate you sharing your talent and expertise with us.

Paul,

Great lesson help's very much thanks. can't wate for more lessons from you your teaching syle is great

Edited by bikerd69

I'm 11 and I know how 2 carve!!!!! I've known 4 'bout a year. :deadsubject:

Great start with some very valuable insight. I would like to add something if I may.

What Paul said about dashed lines that are used in many figure carving pattern applies to Craftaids also. Many people starting out in leatherwork do use Craftaids and the dashed lines are found there, particlarly on the figure carving Craftaids. When you use the Craftaid to apply the pattern to the cased leather, DO NOT press down hard when you run your modeling tool, or whatever you use, over the dashed lines. Do it lightly enough that there is just a light imprint to guide you in your stamping. As Paul stressed; if these lines are burnished into the leather, it will be very difficult to make them disappear into the tooling of the completed work.

I have even used an X-Acto knive to shave down the raised ridges on some of my often used Craftaids. I wrapped a small piece of tape around the tip of the blade so as to raise the blade slightly above the plastic and then carefully planed the dashed line ridges down to where they just barely would make an impression in the leather.

Thank you for that Paul. I'm hoping to get to Tandy in Orlando next Saturday for a carving lesson.

The Paul Burnett Free School of Leather Ornamentation has begun. Here is the first lesson in the Carving 101 course.

I will start by examining some of the misconceptions many people have about layouts and transfers. Then offer some axioms to ensure accuracy in performing the task. Learn and Enjoy

PBCarving01.pdf

Mr Burnett,

Thank you for sharing;

And I paid for your home study course? What a bummer ... LOL! Just kiddin' Paul. Excellent!

Your sir are a teacher of the craft. You get the measure across and more importantly what you tell us makes sense ... even to me :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks again for the study courses and your input here.

The Paul Burnett Free School of Leather Ornamentation has begun. Here is the first lesson in the Carving 101 course.

I will start by examining some of the misconceptions many people have about layouts and transfers. Then offer some axioms to ensure accuracy in performing the task. Learn and Enjoy

PBCarving01.pdf

thanks paul your great :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you for sharing Paul. Look forward to the next instalment of your lessons. Been a great help. John

Paul, thank you for your lesson. I didn't know lines could be so complex. Thanks for sheding a new light for me.

Glad it helps. Wish I had more time to add more lessons. Maybe soon.

Darned cliff hangers! What happens next??? Seriously, cool tutorial, and I can't wait to see more.

Sadly, Paul is no longer with us.  A great man though.

I've been doing leather for more than 30 years, yet I learned a lot from this. Funny how little things get away from you. A wise man once told me that the intelligent man never stops learning.

Thank you, for this! It helps a lot, and cant wait to see more!

Val