MarkB

How To Make Chaps DVDs

Recommended Posts

Was just asked to make a pair of hay chaps for a friend... Have no clue how to make them, and have been researching, but there is so little info out there.  If I could afford information, I would surely purchase these.  Thanks for putting this together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I looked on his website the shotgun chap wasn't  available

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at this............

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/weaver-leather-hay-chaps/E001600/

Don't look like they would be hard to do at all......

May God bless,

Dwight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2016 at 5:54 PM, Dwight said:

Take a look at this............

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/weaver-leather-hay-chaps/E001600/

Don't look like they would be hard to do at all......

May God bless,

Dwight

I looked at those exact chaps as a reference.  I was considering telling my friend to buy those, as I think my cost for the leather would be close to the cost of those chaps.  I'm still at the buying veg tanned at Tandy stage, I am an elite member though, so I get close to what I think is wholesale, but still...  That looks like at least 5 sq ft.  The type of leather varies, too, from chap to chap.  I've seen some type of split/suede to full on thick veg tanned.  Also in this picture, they don't show how the belt is buckled, or if it is even buckled.

 

I've also visited the ranch supply store, and looked at their chaps, pretty easy indeed.  As with all things, the devil is in the details, I don't want to overlook some crucial feature.  I'm new to leather, and I have such a reverence for the material, and the animal that produced it, I get skittish when it is time to cut!  It is also so expensive, I can't take a loss.

Thanks for your thoughts, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KAYSER said:

I've also visited the ranch supply store, and looked at their chaps, pretty easy indeed.  As with all things, the devil is in the details, I don't want to overlook some crucial feature.  I'm new to leather, and I have such a reverence for the material, and the animal that produced it, I get skittish when it is time to cut!  It is also so expensive, I can't take a loss.

Thanks for your thoughts, though!

I don't do a lot of chaps, . . . mostly only for friends, . . . but I found a "cheat" that works wonders.

Get the 40 or 50% off one item coupon for Joann's fabric store, . . . go back to their vinyl section, . . . buy up 40 bucks worth.  It is a bit more flimsy than chap leather, but it is close enough that I use it to do a pattern I've never done, . . . and then I have the pattern.  They can be sewn on a regular machine, . . . and fit tested by the actual user, . . . adjustments made, . . . etc, . . . and the outlay is not that bad.  

Plus you fold em up, . . . put em away, . . . and you can cut em up, . . . sew em back together a different way, . . . practically indestructable.

May God bless,

Dwight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2016 at 7:32 PM, Dwight said:

I don't do a lot of chaps, . . . mostly only for friends, . . . but I found a "cheat" that works wonders.

Get the 40 or 50% off one item coupon for Joann's fabric store, . . . go back to their vinyl section, . . . buy up 40 bucks worth.  It is a bit more flimsy than chap leather, but it is close enough that I use it to do a pattern I've never done, . . . and then I have the pattern.  They can be sewn on a regular machine, . . . and fit tested by the actual user, . . . adjustments made, . . . etc, . . . and the outlay is not that bad.  

Plus you fold em up, . . . put em away, . . . and you can cut em up, . . . sew em back together a different way, . . . practically indestructable.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now