CSMcK

Find Of The Month

While visiting relatives near Woodstock recently, I decided to check the local Kijiji for used saddles. What I found was a listing for two "stitching saddles". Yep - sure enough, they were stitching horses. The owner remembered his parents using them to repair tack, but didn't think anyone did that anymore - "Isn't that a lost art?" He had listed them under antique furniture, and figured they were good only as decorative plant stands. Had he not mis-named them I never would have found them. Well, I picked up two plant stands for less than I'd expect to pay for one stitching saddle, er.., horse.

post-17267-0-23479700-1353122305_thumb.j post-17267-0-80516700-1353122302_thumb.j post-17267-0-14575400-1353122304_thumb.j

They are both of oak, even the seats. One has maple jaws, one oak. All the joints are through tenons.

I've cleaned up, repaired and refinished one of them - new leather, scrape and paint the rust, sand and refinish the wood. The jaws were chipped, so I refaced them wih maple, then added leather covers. I also put a wear-leather on the foot-pedal, as it had worn significantly. The only real damage to the wood was some rot on the bottom, where they had stood in a damp basement, so I added some adjustable feet.

Loking at the jaws I suppose I might call one a harness horse, and the other, if I reworked the tension strap, a saddle-stitching horse, but I don't really need two. I expect once I refinish the second one I'll decide which I want to keep and put the other up in the for-sale section. Anyone looking for a plant stand, or a "stitching saddle"?

Chris

Cool story! What a find...They look like you have them in really good condition.

I would definitely be interested. Just PM me when you decide

Mike

I'm in Mississauga...and would be interested as well. I also have family in Ottawa that could pick it up for me if that works...no shipping :)