Dozen

Carnauba Cream To Waterproof My Expensive Boots

I have a pair of hiking / snow boots that are supposed to be water proof, but i still spray them with a waterproofing solution each time i go on a snow holiday. Ive not got enough left to do them again for this trip, but i have a big bottle of carnauba cream / creme.

Is this recommended to apply to give them a extra level of waterproofing.

I know it will darken then (its a medium tan / brown) but im ok with that.

Any problems with with doing this?

I doubt you will get much waterproofing out of carnauba cream. I would look at something like sno seal if you want more waterproofing protection.

There's a pretty decent video on youtube by Ian Atkinson that shows side by side weatherproofing ability of different finishes and sealants. It's obviously not exhaustive since there are far too many products available for that, but it may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM

Hope that helps

Bill

I've been an Obenauf's fan for a few decades now...   I 've been using the stuff on my thirty year old Maine Hunting shoes from LL Bean for close to thirty years ...   I use it on all my Wesco boots... a pair of Jobmasters  that are fifteen years old and worn six days a week, and second pair of Jobmasters  I wear for Motorcycle riding...   I have a thirty year old  pair of Sidi Motocross boots that get the Obenauf's treatment as well...      All my work gloves, my motorcycle   gloves and my leather military gloves get the treatment, and my Vanson and Fox Creek Leather motorcycle jackets and Chaps get the treatment too....   I like to use leather laces in my work and riding boots.... I regularly treat them with the Obenauf's  LP....   I've even used the stuff to moisturize my lips on a long cold Motorcycle run up to Laconia...

I use the Heavy Duty LP paste  the first time I treat any of my leather...    Clean with a little  diluted vinegar if the leather is moldy or really dirty, 2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar in 16 oz tap water is a good starting point...   let the leather dry and rub the LP paste in by hand...  give it a second coat if the leather is older and shows signs of being extremely dry...   I use the Leather Oil for touch ups in between yearly rub downs...   

Link:     www.obenaufs.com

Hoorah!

I use kiwi conditioning oil/grease. It made my work boots water proof up the 2nd row of laces for at least a couple months. Putting up with plumbing and heating work that says something about that stuff. They are suede and not smooth/polished so that's even more impressive. But they are also really well made military boots meant to endure any condition so yours might not fair as well if they are designed to be breathable for hiking.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:28 PM, rockett88s said:

I've been an Obenauf's fan for a few decades now...   I 've been using the stuff on my thirty year old Maine Hunting shoes from LL Bean for close to thirty years ...   I use it on all my Wesco boots... a pair of Jobmasters  that are fifteen years old and worn six days a week, and second pair of Jobmasters  I wear for Motorcycle riding...   I have a thirty year old  pair of Sidi Motocross boots that get the Obenauf's treatment as well...      All my work gloves, my motorcycle   gloves and my leather military gloves get the treatment, and my Vanson and Fox Creek Leather motorcycle jackets and Chaps get the treatment too....   I like to use leather laces in my work and riding boots.... I regularly treat them with the Obenauf's  LP....   I've even used the stuff to moisturize my lips on a long cold Motorcycle run up to Laconia...

I use the Heavy Duty LP paste  the first time I treat any of my leather...    Clean with a little  diluted vinegar if the leather is moldy or really dirty, 2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar in 16 oz tap water is a good starting point...   let the leather dry and rub the LP paste in by hand...  give it a second coat if the leather is older and shows signs of being extremely dry...   I use the Leather Oil for touch ups in between yearly rub downs...   

Link:     www.obenaufs.com

Hoorah!

This is awesome stuff - have used it for 18 years on a number of different things from high end boots to leather bags and straps.