Artificial Intelligence

Are expensive whet stones worth it?

The sharper the better

I use automotive sandpaper up to 2000 and then strop.

I just lay the sandpaper on my granite top and pull away from the edge.

If I am just maintaining an edge I start at 800 and work my way up. When I get something new and dull I usually start at 220. Unless I'm reprofiling.

One thing that bothers me about this is I never develop that wire edge that has to be stropped off?

Edited by bikermutt07

Stones are good, but imho, the stones will get a dead spot in the middle or wherever you are doing the sharpening. You can get a special stone to flatten them back out, or on a buget you can do the sandpaper 180g or so on a piece of good flat stone or glass and flatten your sharpening stone back out.  If you do it more often it takes less to get back going again.  With just a few strokes across the paper you can see the black spots go away on the ends. 

In the interest of not hijacking this thread, I have apologetically moved my questions to a new topic:

YinTx

13 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

One thing that bothers me about this is I never develop that wire edge that has to be stropped off?

Not saying that you are wrong, but you most probably are getting a wire edge and knocking it off before you realize it.

With practice you can feel the wire edge - use you fingernail and feel the edge of the blade.   Be sure to try both sides of the blade, remember that edge moves from one side of the blade to the other side.  It will be opposite to the side of the blade that is in contact with the stone.

A good way to tell if there is a wire edge is to try to shave slivers from a sheet of paper.  When you have removed the wire edge you will be able to shave tiny slivers from the paper with ease, the blade on a sharp well polished blade will easily cut through a sheet of paper without any kind of a sawing motion,.  If a wire edge still exists on the blade then the slivers will be ragged and it will seem like the blade is wandering as you try to shave the sliver from the paper.  If you have the edge removed you can push the blade through the paper without using a sawing motion.  If the edge hasnt been removed you probably will have to resort to a sawing motion to cut a sliver off of the paper.

Of course this is based on my experience and your may differ.  Hope this helps a little.

rick

16 minutes ago, rickdroid said:

Not saying that you are wrong, but you most probably are getting a wire edge and knocking it off before you realize it.

With practice you can feel the wire edge - use you fingernail and feel the edge of the blade.   Be sure to try both sides of the blade, remember that edge moves from one side of the blade to the other side.  It will be opposite to the side of the blade that is in contact with the stone.

A good way to tell if there is a wire edge is to try to shave slivers from a sheet of paper.  When you have removed the wire edge you will be able to shave tiny slivers from the paper with ease, the blade on a sharp well polished blade will easily cut through a sheet of paper without any kind of a sawing motion,.  If a wire edge still exists on the blade then the slivers will be ragged and it will seem like the blade is wandering as you try to shave the sliver from the paper.  If you have the edge removed you can push the blade through the paper without using a sawing motion.  If the edge hasnt been removed you probably will have to resort to a sawing motion to cut a sliver off of the paper.

Of course this is based on my experience and your may differ.  Hope this helps a little.

rick

I don't think I'm getting a wire at all. I do look at the blade through a loop from time to time as I sharpen. As I'm using the sandpaper tiny hairs develop almost like shavings on a magnet. I think these "shavings" are taking the place of the wire due to my technique. But they aren't stuck. I usually wipe it off on my jeans and carry on. At least this is my theory.

I do notice a bit of difference in cutting between the 2000 grit and the strop. Cause, you know, I like to abuse paper.

Edited by bikermutt07

I am very fond of my toys.

I have several knife sharpening systems.

I also bought the lansky hard ans soft 6 inch bench stones. Together with a green and white soap on a strop, I can sharpen any tool to shaving sharp.