nstarleather

Selling on Etsy- clue me in? Please.

8 hours ago, mickthedig said:

Got my first sale on Etsy this week after 4 months. 7 Horween belts I think for a wedding party. Hooray

Nice I've had about 6 or so since this thread, 3 this week....it's worth it for the advertising if nothing else.  Listing is pretty cheap.

I know it's an older thread but it's an interesting one to me.  I opened my Etsy shop back in November selling wooden canes. I'm primarily a woodworker.  I'm here to learn how to make good leather handles for my canes.  There are a few leather handled canes being made already but I think it's a market worth exploring.

For a small timer like me Etsy is convenient and worth the fees.  I don't necessarily agree with their definition of hand made though I'm not sure where to draw the line.  To me hand made implies one person made the item pretty much start to finish regardless of the tools used.  I think you lose that individual attention to detail when you start having a bunch of employees putting things together in assembly lines.  One person cutting, another assembling, yet another finishing.  Maybe a better definition would be individually crafted as opposed to mass produced.

I am interested in learning more about Amazon Handmade and Aftcra.  I've never heard of Aftcra before now.  Are there any members here using either service and what are your thoughts?

Rodney

I have an Etsy store and in the handmade section of Amazon. I make leather bracelets. I haven't sold many on Amazon. The problem is, as I see it, Amazon is so big you are competing with makers in places like China. I can't buy materials for what Chinese makers are selling finished products for. 

Chuck

Wulfing   

At the moment I only sell belts through local retailers. Im designing a couple of wallets and several other items ready for starting my own website. My research has concluded Wix .com give you a free website with a free domain name for the first year after which the domain name is £29 a year. There are several apps for processing payments. The cheapest I can find is 3%. So much more freedom with your own website.

Im thinking this is better than ebay or etsy but only if I can advertise directly to my customers rather than rely on people searching. I have several methods to achieve this but will keep that to myself lol!  I'm thinking I will start an etsy page as well just to create another way that people can find me. Ebay fees are killers!

I just had a look around Aftcra.  My gut feeling is it's too small though I do like the idea of them only allowing actual artisan crafted items.  Reading on their site I get the idea it was started by people frustrated with Etsy's policies (guessing only). 

I'd never heard of Aftcra before and when I searched for "Walking Sticks" and "Canes" on their site I only found 1 vendor in those categories.  I don't think the exposure will be as good as I have on Etsy though there would certainly be less competition there.  Aftcra's fees also look higher to me.  Right now I'm paying around 7% total for listing, processing and financial service fees with Etsy plus I get discounted shipping through USPS.  Aftcra starts at 7% then there are paypal fees on top of that and I'm on my own for shipping.

Rodney

On 3/20/2017 at 10:12 AM, rodneywt1180b said:

I know it's an older thread but it's an interesting one to me.  I opened my Etsy shop back in November selling wooden canes. I'm primarily a woodworker.  I'm here to learn how to make good leather handles for my canes.  There are a few leather handled canes being made already but I think it's a market worth exploring.

For a small timer like me Etsy is convenient and worth the fees.  I don't necessarily agree with their definition of hand made though I'm not sure where to draw the line.  To me hand made implies one person made the item pretty much start to finish regardless of the tools used.  I think you lose that individual attention to detail when you start having a bunch of employees putting things together in assembly lines.  One person cutting, another assembling, yet another finishing.  Maybe a better definition would be individually crafted as opposed to mass produced.

I am interested in learning more about Amazon Handmade and Aftcra.  I've never heard of Aftcra before now.  Are there any members here using either service and what are your thoughts?

Rodney

Did the Aftcra thing and it is a total bomb; there is no exposure through their platform and I don't think there ever really will be.  Did the Handmade at Amazon thing as well and the issues are multi-fold with them: way too many listings that are NOT handmade end up showing up during a search, most of the stuff that does populate your search results is that cheap, faux leather garbage from foreign sources, their policies are confusing and inconsistent, and so much more.  And, as with Etsy, the Amazon definition of handmade is not truly handmade, it just sounds good when you use it I guess is their thinking.  If you are just starting out the stick with Etsy, at least it won't break the bank.

Thanks very much for that.

Etsy has it's flaws but sounds like it's still the best thing going for me.

Rodney

Cutesy is a bit of a zoo.  Ever seen the forums?  People HERE sometimes have me thinking they've left the lid off the glue.  But I'm tellin' ya, folks here got NUTHIN on them people.  I swear, some of them could find $5 on teh sidewalk, and they'd bitch that it wasn't TEN :rofl:   It's all I can do to pop in and check on the "updates" time to time -- since that's where cutesy puts "announcements" (translated: new policies).

Yes it is.  I found out Etsy is real quick to jump on anyone not in complete agreement with their policies too.

I don't frequent that forum much unless I'm looking for specific answers now.

Rodney

Ebay forums aren't much better.   Never been near them since I foolishly asked advice about a customer who was trying to rip me off.   Got a lecture from someone telling me that the customer was always right, and I should just grin and accept his obnoxious behaviour (sod that for a game of soldiers, as we mere wimmen say).

Don't think my reply was much appreciated by the 'doormat' members.

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Cutesy is a bit of a zoo.  Ever seen the forums?  People HERE sometimes have me thinking they've left the lid off the glue.  But I'm tellin' ya, folks here got NUTHIN on them people.  I swear, some of them could find $5 on teh sidewalk, and they'd bitch that it wasn't TEN :rofl:   It's all I can do to pop in and check on the "updates" time to time -- since that's where cutesy puts "announcements" (translated: new policies).

Leaving the lid of the kind of glue most folks around here use is a horribly unwise idea.    :bike:

2 hours ago, carguy4471 said:

Leaving the lid of the kind of glue most folks around here use is a horribly unwise idea.

It is for a fact.  Could explain some people's tendency to argue statements which were never made in the first place :whistle:

On 3/21/2017 at 8:03 PM, JLSleather said:

I swear, some of them could find $5 on teh sidewalk, and they'd bitch that it wasn't TEN :rofl: 

Since I saw that place, people complaining about needing more pictures to show their stuff.  A week or so ago, the number of pics you can upload was increased from 5 to 10 for each listing.  Sure enough, people in the forums complaining that they don't have 10 pics , so now they "have to" go back and re-photo all their (sometimes hundreds of) listings so they don't look "like they don't care.."  YIKES.

And a watched pot really don't boil after all.  I'm a couple short of 1000 orders over there - meaning I almost have enough money to have lunch tomorrow! :)  Been in the 990's for a week, though.. like the whole thing just bogged down in deep sand ... !

Somebody will have a petition to "make 'em leave our shops alone", or someone will try to get "everyone" to "boycott", or "protest".... and they wonder why cutesy has no direct dial "support" line.  Honestly, would YOU listen to that?!@#!

Edited by JLSleather