craftsman827

Looking for door hanging sleigh bell pattern

20 posts in this topic

Does anyone have or know where to get a sleigh bell door hanging pattern.

I think it was in an old, " make it with leather " magazine.

It was  dyed, red & green & had some border tooling.

Some had " Merry X-Mas" tooled on it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Tandy's Leathercraft Library at Leathercraft Library and then check out all of their patterns.  They have several Christmas patterns and I believe one of them is the Sleigh Bell Door Hanger.  Have fun with it.

Edited by NVLeatherWorx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple years ago I took some about 2-3 in wide by about 8-9 inches long scraps and put some of the bells that you can get from Michaels or other craft shop punched some holes and used some leather lace to attach the bells and then left it hanging. I forgot how to shrink pictures so I can't put them on but I just had 2 holes for each bell took the lace and knotted it started at the top from behind and laced the bell on and then back thru the second hole to the back came out for the next bell then back thru the second hole until the bells were on then I left the lace hanging below the leather. To make the hole for the door knob just punch a hole the size of the narrow part of the door handle where it will set. Then make a slit on the top and bottom of the whole so it will fit over the handle. Make sure you end the slits with a punch so the leather doesn't split. I just dyed mine but you could stamp or paint whatever you wanted on them. Hope this helps.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make mine like this now.  I use the die for my harness hip drop. It ends up being about 14" long, not including rings, and just shy of 5" wide at the widest point. I could click one out for you if you're still needing this. The bells are cast and fairly heavy.  Plated, pressed steel bells would be lighter, but I don't want to go to all the work of making one of these and then use cheap, pressed bells.  I used to cut by hand a piece shaped somewhat like a holly leaf, and not line it. I'd put the pressed bells on those, and it made a pretty inexpensive item. I don't think I have any pictures of those, although I could get some.

IMG_3406E.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like those they look really good and it's neat your using something you already had.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:16 AM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I make mine like this now.  I use the die for my harness hip drop. It ends up being about 14" long, not including rings, and just shy of 5" wide at the widest point. I could click one out for you if you're still needing this. The bells are cast and fairly heavy.  Plated, pressed steel bells would be lighter, but I don't want to go to all the work of making one of these and then use cheap, pressed bells.  I used to cut by hand a piece shaped somewhat like a holly leaf, and not line it. I'd put the pressed bells on those, and it made a pretty inexpensive item. I don't think I have any pictures of those, although I could get some.

IMG_3406E.jpg

I would be interested in you clicking me a few. what is the charge ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested as well depending on shipping costs to north of the border

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wlg190861 said:

I would be interested in you clicking me a few. what is the charge ?

 

1 hour ago, Halitech said:

I'd be interested as well depending on shipping costs to north of the border

 

How about $10 apiece?  I cut these from the center of a belly, usually W & C black harness for these.  It's a drier leather than most harness leather and it won't turn all white from wax after a couple years.  Beautiful finish on the W & C Regular Black Harness if you've never tried it.  I cut them from the center of the belly, no flanky leather or bad wrinkles. Halitech, I can check at the post offc in you want; I called the other day to ask about shipping something up there and she said she shipped a package earlier in the week for someone that weighed 8 oz and it cost $22.  Seems high to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that doesn't sound right to me either for shipping. I can ship a wallet and a belt for less then $15.00 to anywhere in North America. I'll PM my postal code for you to check

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

 

 

How about $10 apiece?  I cut these from the center of a belly, usually W & C black harness for these.  It's a drier leather than most harness leather and it won't turn all white from wax after a couple years.  Beautiful finish on the W & C Regular Black Harness if you've never tried it.  I cut them from the center of the belly, no flanky leather or bad wrinkles. Halitech, I can check at the post offc in you want; I called the other day to ask about shipping something up there and she said she shipped a package earlier in the week for someone that weighed 8 oz and it cost $22.  Seems high to me.

I'll take two on Friday. can you see how much the shipping will be ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wlg190861 said:

I'll take two on Friday. can you see how much the shipping will be ?

Yes, but I have to find a box! I looked around today and came up empty, and I know I burned one a few days ago that would have been perfect. A flat Rate medium box would be right size-wise, but more expensive than need be I imagine. I'll dig around in my basement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Yes, but I have to find a box! I looked around today and came up empty, and I know I burned one a few days ago that would have been perfect. A flat Rate medium box would be right size-wise, but more expensive than need be I imagine. I'll dig around in my basement.

Let me know

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made these last year for family members.

 

IMG_1895.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2016 at 10:10 PM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

 

 

How about $10 apiece?  I cut these from the center of a belly, usually W & C black harness for these.  It's a drier leather than most harness leather and it won't turn all white from wax after a couple years.  Beautiful finish on the W & C Regular Black Harness if you've never tried it.  I cut them from the center of the belly, no flanky leather or bad wrinkles. Halitech, I can check at the post offc in you want; I called the other day to ask about shipping something up there and she said she shipped a package earlier in the week for someone that weighed 8 oz and it cost $22.  Seems high to me.

Big Sioux, thank you for getting back. About mailing, if you can fit it in a 13 inch padded envelop, USPS charges $ 6.80 priotery mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 2:52 PM, 24VOLTS said:

I made these last year for family members.

 

IMG_1895.jpg

Nice, it's been many years since I made them. I can't remember where I got the tooling pattern from.I remember it was dyed red and green !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, craftsman827 said:

Big Sioux, thank you for getting back. About mailing, if you can fit it in a 13 inch padded envelop, USPS charges $ 6.80 priotery mail

 I don't think they'd go in an envelope.  Stretched out flat, they've got to be around 17-18 long.  In the last year, I've gotten a whole lot of "postage due" mail on stuff sent in padded envelopes that the PO  said should NOT have been. The $22 quote was to Canada. I sent a couple to WI in a box for just under $8. If I send any more, they'll have to go in a flat rate medium for $13.45, because I'm out of small boxes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2016 at 10:42 AM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

 I don't think they'd go in an envelope.  Stretched out flat, they've got to be around 17-18 long.  In the last year, I've gotten a whole lot of "postage due" mail on stuff sent in padded envelopes that the PO  said should NOT have been. The $22 quote was to Canada. I sent a couple to WI in a box for just under $8. If I send any more, they'll have to go in a flat rate medium for $13.45, because I'm out of small boxes!

I don't know if you are familiar with it, but USPS sends you boxes at no charge.

As many as you need, & any size you want.

Check out their web site,  usps.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only boxes from USPS that I was aware of was their flat rate boxes, which I pick up at the post office.  So I can get boxes from USPS that will ship at the Priority 3-day rate that are NOT flat rate boxes??  The lady at the post office never clued me in on THAT one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they do! They have a bunch of boxes in all sizes and shapes that are not flat rate and available free. Some post offices have them in the back if you ask and others don't. Like craftsman287 wrote, I go to www.usps.com and end up someplace on the site at "free shipping supplies". They have a bunch of boxes and tubes that are free. You order them (no charge) and your mailman delivers them (no charge) or they hold them for pick up at the post office (gas to get there).. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Yes they do! They have a bunch of boxes in all sizes and shapes that are not flat rate and available free. Some post offices have them in the back if you ask and others don't. Like craftsman287 wrote, I go to www.usps.com and end up someplace on the site at "free shipping supplies". They have a bunch of boxes and tubes that are free. You order them (no charge) and your mailman delivers them (no charge) or they hold them for pick up at the post office (gas to get there).. 

Thanks Bruce! That's good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now