JLSleather

Hermann Oak pricing 2017

8 posts in this topic

In today's mail ...

HO A-grade $7.81 up to 8 oz, $7,95 above 8 oz

Backs add 1.45 / ft

Making HO A backs $9.26 / ft

HO_2017.pdf

Always pays to buy from the tannery if ya can. 

Still always surprised (ok not really) how much places jack the prices up on the old world harness, scene it literally $150 more per side. 

Can an average joe buy from them and is there a minimum purchase requirement?

49 minutes ago, Bolt Vanderhuge said:

Can an average joe buy from them and is there a minimum purchase requirement?

Yes its on the pricing sheet he posted and on there website. You can buy from them if you can make the minimum order. 

Well I do not use enough leather to buy 10-20 hides so I will pay the extra to get quantities that are better suited for my needs. 

Id love to get a sample of their drum dyed skirting and old world harness leather in 13/15. I can probably swing a 10 side order that would last a few months. 

Posted (edited)

Well, the economy of it is a no-brainer.  10 backs is about $1850-1900, depending on weight.  Anywhere else, a back is going to run $225-$250 each - so going to HO saves you at least $50 per piece ($500 on a 10-pak), PLUS 10 shipping charges (another $200-ish), PLUS you're getting A grade (which the "retailers" aren't sending, with the exception of Goliger).

Now, if you're in a location where it's difficult to control humidity, that might make a case for not buying multiple hides, otherwise ...  if you will use 10 or more, best to save your money until you can buy them all at once, if that's what it takes (I cheat.. swipe a card ;) ).

Or, if someone else is doing leather - say within 100 miles of you -- maybe get together and 'split' an order (get it.. "split"... leather... uh nevermind..)  A guy could drive over and pick up his 5 sides for about what the retailers are jacking up EACH piece.

Edited by JLSleather

Posted (edited)

For a normal hobbyist their min order don't fit the budget. Unless do a group buy. Did this frequently when was making beer yet the group buys were too far. Main reason I buy from springfield leather. I wish I had some 2-3 or even 2 oz but gotta wait ;). Sure would like to work with bridle. Sometimes I don't like messing with the dyes. Even got lazy using eco crap cause it's easy to clean up. 

Edited by Chrism