JamesR

Thread burning but not the leather!

11 posts in this topic

Been using a thread burner for a while now but sometimes I slip and scar the leather.

Now I use this shield (piece of brass sheet metal with holes). No more scars.

IMG_0172_1.jpg

IMG_0173_1.jpg

IMG_0174_1.jpg

Absolutely brilliant!  Thanks for sharing that idea!

YinTx

YinTx,   Thank you

That is a cool idea, I've just been using a cheap .75 cent butane lighter, like the $1.50 "Thread Burners" they sell in the Springfield catalogue :) As far as your shield, couldn't you accomplish the same thing if the brass had a slit, instead of a hole? I think it might be easier than threading that hole.

CaptQuirk,

Yes a slit might work too.

This is what I use.  No more lighters.  I love it.  I can mushroom the thread back in to the hole/slot and you know even know its there.  No more burning the leather with a lighter.

Image result for bead thread zapper

I bought one of those thread zap tools.  Absolutely worthless.  Tip heated up once and that was the end of it.  Never worked again.  Don't know if it was a lemon or standard issue, but for me, a waste of $$.  Had such high hopes for it too.

YinTx

Fancy! Great idea. Sometimes the simplistic answer is the best solution

Stetson912,   Thank you,

YinTx,   I went thru several of those thread zappers and the tips all bent and broke or they just would not get hot. I finally got this: https://www.iso-tip.com/product/quick-charge-soldering-iron-kit-boxed-7700/

It is not cheap but it has been working very well for months now. The tips will not bend and break.

JamesR,

You are right, that is not cheap, but I can see that it would work very well.... I'll keep it in mind for a future buy...

YinTx

I guess I must be doing something wrong, . . . I use the "flick your bic" type lighter, . . . have never burned a piece of leather yet.

I leave about a 1/8 of an inch of thread when I cut it, . . . hit it with the edge of the yellow flame, . . . it melts / burns away, . . . I give it a little thumb rub, . . . done.

May God bless,

Dwight