Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daggrim

brass drinking cup

4 posts in this topic

So, is there anything to clean a brass drinking cup that isn't toxic? I've used brasso, then washed it with soap and water, but that takes away some of the shine. Besides, brass makes everything taste funny. Is there any way around the taste, or the tarnishing inside after just a day of use? Inquiring Vikings want to know. Sometimes I just stand around looking cool, holding my very large brass chalice, but it's empty.

Daggrim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bar Keeper's Friend, which you can buy at the grocery store. The main ingredient, I believe is Oxalic acid, otherwise known here as leather bleach.

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I stated in another thread, wax it with carnauba car wax. That will keep the moisture from tarnishing it about the same amount of time as your car.

Not sure about the toxic part but that stuff you put on your windows to keep the rain off might work too, I think it is a carnauba type product.

Now remember though if the tarnish is still there like when you use tarnx or brasso it is still going to show in a short amount of time.

Brasso/tarnx, all it is is bleach, it takes the color out but doesn't actual take the oils off the brass, that's why it is quick, but tarnish comes back rather fast.

After you polish real well, wax it with a carnauba car wax. This will keep the moisture from the air & oils from your hands off it for aprox a year.

A good choice is Wenol & Friltz. That is what I used on silver drinking goblets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, is there anything to clean a brass drinking cup that isn't toxic? I've used brasso, then washed it with soap and water, but that takes away some of the shine. Besides, brass makes everything taste funny. Is there any way around the taste, or the tarnishing inside after just a day of use? Inquiring Vikings want to know. Sometimes I just stand around looking cool, holding my very large brass chalice, but it's empty.

Daggrim

Boiling hot water with a tablespoon of Cream of Tartar will clean your brass, and it is non toxic. Laquer inside your cup might solve the taste problem. (If you are drinking Jack Daniels in your brass cup, it´s not the brass that causes the bad taste) :rolleyes2:

Edited by oldtimer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0