arz

Skiving Machine, Duel Speed needed?

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I need a skiving machine (bell skiver) for splitting wallets back, thinning pockets etc,. I need it so I can line a wallet, so I have to get it down to below 1mm. Here in Europe it seems common to do that. I would be using it for 2-3oz (1mm) goat, calf and veg-tan. Maximum 2mm thick. 

My question is do I need a duel speed set-up? In other words, a constant knife speed and a variable feed wheel speed. The price difference can be almost twice. 

I have heard some say that you need the blade running at high speeds, but I also need control. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks! Adam

I have a Fortuna and a FAV and they both have the blade run at a constant fast speed. The foot pedal allows the feed wheel to go at whatever speed you want just like your accelerator in a car does. You can if you want set them to be feeding at a constant feed speed as well. I did have a very old Fortuna and the bell on it only went along with the feed wheel and it was not very good. In all cases above there is only one motor and the feed is governed by a clutch.

In this link you will see a video I made using my Fortuna, it should help.

Regards Brian

Thanks Brian, Where I'm at I have found the typical Chinese machines (which I believe will have the blade and feed in sync) and a used Fortuna and Fav. Not sure what model the used ones are and if they are setup to have the blade run at a constant speed. Looks like I should hold off for a constant blade and clutch feed.

If you want to let me know the Chinese machine models I could check them out but I would be very surprised if they would be making them with a blade and feed in sync still. I do recommend whatever model you get, getting one with an aspirator to help take the waste away. That is a suction device that normally takes the waste into a bin under the table and on the left via a tube under the bell. The picture below shows what I mean I think. Regards Brian

DSC08054_resize.JPG

The Chinese ones all seem to be about the same, basically an 801 or Global SK111 model. I can find the following machines in Romania: Japsew Q-801, Jack T801, Dison DS-T801, Global SK111 and probably many other "brands." Some have a servo motor and others a clutch.

I'm familiar with the vacuum attachment, so far none of the used ones or even new ones here have one. I could always purchase a used machine from Germany if I needed to.... Thanks!

Hi Adam,

Depends on your budget: I would prefer a used Fortuna, FAV, Atom, Nippy  with vacuum over a new Chinese machine. 

2 hours ago, gigi said:

Hi Adam,

Depends on your budget: I would prefer a used Fortuna, FAV, Atom, Nippy  with vacuum over a new Chinese machine. 

Thanks for the advice, I agree. It's good to see someone else from Brasov doing fine leather work! I am trying to be careful with my budget....once my business gets up and running I will be willing to spend more.  I might just wait until I can justify a 1500+ euro used machine.

-Adam

Servus! Best of luck!

19 hours ago, gigi said:

Servus! Best of luck!

Multumesc mult!