Mike83

Calfskin vs cowhide durability

3 posts in this topic

Having some trouble picking leathers for durability.

Obviously a thick cowhide leather is going to be stronger than a thin calfskin, but, unless you're dealing with a thickness that isn't available in calfskin, that doesn't really come into it. For leather clothing, shoes, most bags, etc., the thickness required is available in both calf and cow.

Like-for-like (similar thickness and similar tannage), which one is going to be more durable - calfskin, or mature cowhide. For scuffing/abrasion? Splitting? Stretching? Cracking?

Thanks

Supposedly calf is stronger ounce for ounce because of fibers being closer together.  I'd say in practice on most items the difference isn't significant enough to make a huge difference (though some here may disagree). 

Personally I'd think how it's tanned would make a much bigger difference than "cow or calf"  I have some "Janus Calf" from CF Stead, it's soft and has a nude finish (meant for full-grain-suede shoes), I'm sure it's pretty strong, but it probably wouldn't hold up as well as a stiffer "boot leather" that's made of cow.  I also have some thinner but stiff calf that I got as scrap from the same $$$ shoe company, it probably is more durable than a similar thickness "cow leather" but still not significantly so.  I imagine if I made wallets our of each, the individual usage by the final customer would have a lot more to do with it than the original material. 

Scuffing, Abrasion, cracking all have more to do with the finish than the material and how well it's tanned- none of those things should be common in cow or calf.  Stretching is gonna vary depending on the part of the hide, but probably not super different. 

Thanks.

What about bison? Is that materially stronger than calf in the same weight and tannage, or is that just hype on the part of the bison farmers/tanners?