Jordanball33

Where to buy Refurbished or off brand machines.

13 posts in this topic

I'm looking to add a cylinder arm machine for bag making. I have a juki 1541 but think the cylinder arm will help a lot and I'll also use it for edge banding. Where can I find a good offbrand machine or more preferably a refurb unit from a reputable shop. Walking foot, minimum 138 thread. That will handle 5oz of leather/canvas mix, and then the edge band. Would like to stay under $1000 if possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a new one for that price, but you might be able to find a used Consew 227 for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a pretty serious curve ball when you put in the 138 minimum thread. I think your start, with looking for ideas here on the site is the best choice. So good luck!

It may just be my luck with craigs L. But i have only seen 2 cyl arm machines in my 200 mile distance they use. 

Im going to say, have a look at a new cobra machine I believe its the class 26, this and the newest others in that size. Seems these medium size of late are using thread a you mention pretty easily. 

Good day

Floyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Miami Sewing machine  web page.  The have a lot of reconditioned and rebuilt machines and are in Florida.

glenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cowboy CB-227R handles #138 thread with ease and has reverse too. But, it costs over 50% more than your budget. I think you are going to be limited to looking for old used cylinder arm machines if 1k is your top price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This brings up a question.  For making canvas and leather bags, would it be better to have a Cylinder Arm, or a Post Bed machine?  Can't the Post Bed sew tighter corners? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For handbags, a post bed machine will be better.  But you'll have to double or triple your budget to get a decent one.  You can do 80% of what you want with a cylinder arm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a rebuilt Mitsubishi cu 835 I can buy for $950 with table and motor. I just purchased my juki 1541s a month or so ago so hard to throw it down like that again so soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like an average deal, depends on the condition.  However when you see a great deal on a Mitsubishi, it typically means it needs a lot of work.  Mitsubishi makes great machines, but now your adding a new learning curve, each company brand has it's own set of "tweaking".  Your getting use to the Juki and now you will have to add the Mitsubishi.  Who knows you may like it more.  haha  Also you will have to keep an eye out for Juki and Mitsubishi parts, rather than just Juki parts. I suspect the Mitsubishi parts a more expensive.  Just a thought.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take some #138 thread with you & try before you buy it,I'd say it's the max size thread that it will handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 5:02 PM, Yetibelle said:

That sounds like an average deal, depends on the condition.  However when you see a great deal on a Mitsubishi, it typically means it needs a lot of work.  Mitsubishi makes great machines, but now your adding a new learning curve, each company brand has it's own set of "tweaking".  Your getting use to the Juki and now you will have to add the Mitsubishi.  Who knows you may like it more.  haha  Also you will have to keep an eye out for Juki and Mitsubishi parts, rather than just Juki parts. I suspect the Mitsubishi parts a more expensive.  Just a thought.

 

The Mitsubishi has been rebuilt from a reputable dealer (to my knowledge) who sells a lot of stuff online. I haven't found any bad reviews on the company. It's just set up how I need it for $1000 I just can't scrounge up any more cash. And i will likely make no more than 20 bags with it this year. 

On 4/20/2017 at 6:17 AM, brmax said:

Thats a pretty serious curve ball when you put in the 138 minimum thread. I think your start, with looking for ideas here on the site is the best choice. So good luck!

It may just be my luck with craigs L. But i have only seen 2 cyl arm machines in my 200 mile distance they use. 

Im going to say, have a look at a new cobra machine I believe its the class 26, this and the newest others in that size. Seems these medium size of late are using thread a you mention pretty easily. 

Good day

Floyd

What machines do you see on Craigslist? Mind sharing a link to then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well how about a class 29 machine? Like a 29-4? They can be had for $300-$500 bucks.  Still an arm machine. If your only making 20 or so bags that would be a great machine.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/20/2017 at 5:17 PM, Jordanball33 said:

 

I have a rebuilt Mitsubishi cu 835 I can buy for $950 with table and motor.

 

I'm guessing this is actually a Mitsubishi CU-865. If that's the case, $950 for that machine in nice working condition is a good price in my book.  Florida (Miami) Sewing Machines wants $2,100 for their Mitsubishi CU-865 on Ebay

Parts are getting scarce, though. Make sure it's complete.

Edited by Uwe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now