fredk

Cutting costs the UK way

Dunluce   
On 27/06/2017 at 8:58 PM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Valerie Singleton every time, with Tom Baker (then David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Peter Capaldi in second joint second place).

Now Tom Baker was good, but Jon Pertwee beats him every time!

fredk   

No kitchen making places round my way use real granite or marble. They use very thick chipboard with a plastic surface which looks like granite or marble

We export tons of high quality granite and import low quality granite from India when its needed

I can't decide on the best Doctor; I watched from Harkness to Davison or Colin Baker. Haven't seen much after that. I liked Pertwee, had an affinity with Tom Baker as I like jelly babies and we had to wear a very long scarf at college - compulsory to wear during winter, it had to be worn a certain way too.

alpha2   

Thanks for the tip on the lolly sticks. I've been looking for something to use for stitching belt keepers. 

Tom Baker, for sure. Probably because we don't get all the Brit shows here, and then they're already old. Tom Baker was the one we started with, so, all the others are impostors!

I was trying to figure out why in the world anyone would name a store "Poundstore", it finally dawned on me that it would what we here call the "Dollar Store". Duh.

Still  not sure what "brill" means, something to do with either cost or value, I figure. We had a good friend here, (passed away unfortunately), that was our go to guy for Brit expressions. In the "she's a witch!" bit, we couldn't figure out what the witch said when they finally determined she was, in fact, a witch. Our friend told us it was "it's a fair cop". Well, sure, once you KNEW that, you could hear it. We had the sound turned up and listened very carefully numerous times, but were never able to figure it out on our own. 

fredk   

Brill = short for brilliant = an expression of approval for just about anything,  eg; brill idea = a good/clever idea

Yeah, we use real money here British Pounds £ ;  none of your monopoly play money or Early Learning Centre play Euros

alpha2   

Brill, I don't know why I couldn't figure that out. I guess it was the context. Used to love the show "Brilliant!" Didn't stay long enough for me. Bob Fleming was my wife's favorite bit. She's weird that way. I'll get me coat.

Another bit we needed some input on was "are you married?" Our friend straightened us out on that one as well. Started using it all the time for a while. We'd laugh, but nobody knew what we were on about. Inside joke around these parts!

Jeff

mikesc   

You want English that others won't understand.. look up Jabberwocky..
brill :)

alpha2   

It's kind of silly that when people ask if English is my native language, I have to say "no, 'murican". Still, better than trying to understand a Scot. Eh?

mikesc   

This'll do until Lumpendoodle2 gets around to you.

grumpyoldman.jpg