cjartist

Burnishing Problem Solved - Motorized on the Cheap

cjartist   

I was looking for a motorized burnisher to save my hands.  Hand burnishing is okay for small things but when you move into working with long edges ... Uggh!

So I was looking around for options and I ended up with this setup.

I had the cheap Harbor Freight bench grinder that I got on barter a couple years ago.  The spindle was $13.10 from eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAPERED-SPINDLE-1-2-HOLE-RIGHT-SIDE-OF-MOTOR-POLISHING-BUFFING-WHEEL-HOLDER/190689483141

And the wheel was $8.00 from Tandy.  

Yeah, I'm cheap ... broke is more like it.  But I highly recommend this setup for anyone that needs a little help doing edges and doesn't have a fortune to spend.  Enjoy!

Burnisher.jpg

garypl   

Did you just jam the burnisher onto the spindle?

Fire88   

Ive been thinking of doing something very similar, Good work

you may want a burnishing wheel with more varieties in the thickness it can burnish - maybe 5 in one burnisher. Two is ok if that covers everything you do though.

cjartist   
3 hours ago, garypl said:

Did you just jam the burnisher onto the spindle?

No, the spindle is threaded in the opposite direction of rotation.  The wheel is just hand turned on and the spindle essentially threads itself into the wood.  It becomes self tightening when it meets resistance.  This is typically used with polishing wheels by jewelers.

Edited by cjartist

dikman   

That's actually quite a clever way to mount the burnisher! It never occurred to me when I was making my burnishers - so simple that I missed it.

cjartist   
On 8/13/2017 at 1:29 AM, dikman said:

That's actually quite a clever way to mount the burnisher! It never occurred to me when I was making my burnishers - so simple that I missed it.

Thanks, I only found the solution out of necessity of not having the $$.  It works quite well too.  All that I need for now :) 

alpha2   

Note that there are right hand spindles and left hand spindles. If you use the wrong one, instead of tightening under load, it runs off and shoots across the floor!!!

cjartist   
15 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Note that there are right hand spindles and left hand spindles. If you use the wrong one, instead of tightening under load, it runs off and shoots across the floor!!!

Ha ha, yes very important to be sure to buy the right one.  That truly could be an expensive mistake ... "be careful kid, you could take an eye out with that thing"

dikman   

Actually, unless you've got something completely different on your side of the pond, every grinder that I've come across has had a left-hand thread on one side and a right-hand thread on the other. It is impossible to fit the wrong spindle on the wrong side, so whichever side you use it will always tighten up (unless you some how manage to reverse the motor direction).

alpha2   

That may be. The only motors I have experience with are Dental  equipment. Straight, smooth arbor, the cones tap on and have a left and a right. Nice thing is that they are two speed. The low is just about right for burnishing. Still trying to find one that some dentist is through with...I have 133 days to get it done, then I retire, and my dental connections are kaput. And I'm alright with that!