JeannieH

My knives dull right after sharpening!

Matt S   
48 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

I'm using the stropping block from knives plus. I have watched the video on fixing Japanese skiving knives and Lisa sorrels video a while back. I'm skiving 3.5 ounce chrome tanned leather with a soft hand. When I strip, should there be any pressure applied to blade or just lightly pass it over the strop? 

I find best results with lots of pressure, but remembering to keep the angle consistent. Left right left right 12 times as soon as I notice any drag on the knife. Test it on the arm. If it doesn't pop hairs strop again. Repeat until it's hair popping sharp. Then start again as soon as the knife starts to drag.

JeannieH   

Matt, would that motion of left to right work with the nobuyoshi knife? It only has one angled side...

Hunhunt   

I have experienced exactly the same problem with a similar knife, the ones sold by Lisa Sorrel. I use a Tormek sharpener and bring the edge to razor sharpness using the stone wheel followed by a stropping wheel. The edge is mirror polished. The knife I use is sharpened on both sides. The knife cuts extremely well but quickly dulls with the chrome tanned leather I use in shoe-making. I have experienced the same thing with the Super Skiver with injector razor insert and with an Osborne french edger/skiver. I make frequent trips to the Tormek stropping wheel to touch up the edge. I have tried varying the angle of the edge but have found little difference. Seems to be the nature of chrome tanned leather and metal edge tools.

Matt S   
On 11/18/2017 at 3:46 PM, JeannieH said:

Matt, would that motion of left to right work with the nobuyoshi knife? It only has one angled side...

I would do a dozen on the bevel, then one or two with the back of the blade dead flat against the strop to get rid of the burr. Repeat a few times then test as above.

Just a quick question. Are you cutting on a thick Mat? Is there a slash in the mat under your leather? If so I may have the answer to your dilemma..... 

JeannieH   
2 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

Just a quick question. Are you cutting on a thick Mat? Is there a slash in the mat under your leather? If so I may have the answer to your dilemma..... 

No I'm using a cutting board on top of a granite slab. I just keep stropping as it fills. I guess this chrome tan I'm using is gonna dull the knife. 

Are you digging in the board a lot. I THOUGHT I was having the same problem. But I moved from dull disposable bladed cutter to a sharp round knife. At first I thought I was doing something wrong. I would hone the blade make a few cuts and suddenly I was bogged down and had to hone it again. Or so I thought I was used to a dull blade and I was applying a lot of downward force and the blade was gouging into my mat material.  I solved it by training myself to use a sharp knife. I still dig in every once in a while but at least I know how to fix it. Pull out the blade and cut again.