Simeon54

CHRISTINA bag, recently finished.

Recommended Posts

I thought I'd share with you all my latest piece. It's named the CHRISTINA bag after my mother. I'm currently naming each design I make after the people who get them as a gift, which so far is only the women in my life, two sisters and my mum.

It's constructed from Organic Swedish leather, using Lin Cablé Fil au Chinois thread. Edges are dyed with Fiebings Dark Brown Oil Dye, then burnished with Gum Trag (I've inserted a wooden hand slicker into my power drill and stuck that in a vice, I'm done hand burnishing! That is the only machine I use in the process).

All hard ware is solid brass from Le Prevo, UK. Lining inside is a French beige sheep lining skin.

IMG_8480.jpgIMG_8508.jpgIMG_8513.jpg

IMG_8496.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

Edited by Simeon54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice job, and great color! I like the shape too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Wedgetail, feel free to pass my details over to them. You can see more on my Instagram account: Simeon Morris Design. I see you're in Ipswich. Although I live in Arnhem now, I hail from Norwich. :-)

And thanks JD62. This leather came pre-dyed. I'm trying to move away from hand dying as it takes up so much time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful stitching and design - nice work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garypl said:

Beautiful stitching and design - nice work!

Thanks garypl, very kind of you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very clean and nicely done. the handle is an exceptional detail I think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful bag, very clean and neat.. I really like how you did the shoulder strap- how it runs through a slider rather than a buckle- very clever. I cant recall seeing that before and I'm going to store that technique away so I can borrow it someday.

If I could offer one constructive critique- the attachment tabs for the handle on the flap- what if they were pointed like the strap and strap tabs, rather than squared off? I think it might tie the three together and flow a bit more. It looks wonderful the way it is, but I just think- what if? Again, great bag, I'm sure your mother is very pleased with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an amazing selection of materials!  And well put together.  Thanks for sharing it with us! 

YinTx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 2:48 AM, MichaelT said:

Wonderful bag, very clean and neat.. I really like how you did the shoulder strap- how it runs through a slider rather than a buckle- very clever. I cant recall seeing that before and I'm going to store that technique away so I can borrow it someday.

If I could offer one constructive critique- the attachment tabs for the handle on the flap- what if they were pointed like the strap and strap tabs, rather than squared off? I think it might tie the three together and flow a bit more. It looks wonderful the way it is, but I just think- what if? Again, great bag, I'm sure your mother is very pleased with it.

Thanks for the critique. To be honest, I spent quite some time trying to figure out what to do about those little tabs. Normally, I would do them the same as the other similar details, so in this case they should have been teardrop shaped to match the side tabs. However, to do that, I would have had to move them away from the edge, which would have forced me to make the handle much shorter, to get it to fit and keep the silhouette of the bag looking good. In the end, the tabs had to go right to the edge, hence them being straight. I had thought about a single piece that folded over the lip of the bag flap and ran underneath and up the other side for the other tab, but that would have over complicated the design. I'm all about minimal details. So, yes, perhaps not the best design feature, but the best solution I had at that moment.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Simeon54 said:

Thanks for the critique. To be honest, I spent quite some time trying to figure out what to do about those little tabs. Normally, I would do them the same as the other similar details, so in this case they should have been teardrop shaped to match the side tabs. However, to do that, I would have had to move them away from the edge, which would have forced me to make the handle much shorter, to get it to fit and keep the silhouette of the bag looking good. In the end, the tabs had to go right to the edge, hence them being straight. I had thought about a single piece that folded over the lip of the bag flap and ran underneath and up the other side for the other tab, but that would have over complicated the design. I'm all about minimal details. So, yes, perhaps not the best design feature, but the best solution I had at that moment.

Thanks!

I understand! Kudos to you for designing on the fly to overcome an unforeseen obstacle. To me that's sometimes the satisfying part- "Now lets see- how can I pull a rabbit out of my hat and make this work"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nicely done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking bag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to the last two posts, I haven't been here for a week or so and didn't realise you had posted. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice neat bag,great design

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 8:01 AM, Bogwot said:

Nice neat bag,great design

Thanks Bogwot, apologies in the very late response to your kind critique. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely bag, and your stitching is superb. 

As a woman, though, I'd prefer a fancier (bigger) clasp. That little button closure just doesn't do it for me!

Otherwise, very nice! And I like the pointed ends on the straps.

 

Personally, I like the one on this bag: https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/revival-handbag-kit

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this also from the Tarnsjo Gaveri tannery?

YinTx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, looking at the photo of the strap and its attachment....

And I really can't tell if you put an edge binding on the purse, or whether that's just a super nice edge finishing job! 

If the latter, I'd like to know your secret! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 2:27 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Lovely bag, and your stitching is superb. 

As a woman, though, I'd prefer a fancier (bigger) clasp. That little button closure just doesn't do it for me!

Otherwise, very nice! And I like the pointed ends on the straps.

 

Personally, I like the one on this bag: https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/revival-handbag-kit

Hi SheilaJeanne, thanks for the comment. I have had some comments about using a little Sam Browne stud for the closure. It may well have to change, but I love the simplicity of it. But yes, perhaps not super practical.

And these edges were bevelled, then dyed with oil dye, then burnished with gum trag and finished with an edge coat I got in NL. It's like an ink of sorts and I must say, I'm stopping using it now, as it flakes off over time. I think the trick with edges is to experiment. I have a hand slicker that I've mounted into a drill and then in a vice, but I also use a cloth now and then. And if it's not smooth enough, sand back the first burnish with a high grit sand paper and give it a second round.
 

I have also stopped using gum trag and just use water. However, I think the burnished edge is often dependant on the quality of leather one uses: better leather, better edge. Hope that helps and sorry for the delay guys!

 

Edited by Simeon54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, bikermutt07 said:

It's Great.

Many thanks!

 

On 1/27/2018 at 5:44 PM, YinTx said:

Is this also from the Tarnsjo Gaveri tannery?

YinTx

Sorry for such late reply and yes, it is from them.

I have to say, in the end, this hide was a bit too 'wet' for my liking and it marked incredibly easily, so I have looked elsewhere for other products. I really wanted to use their leather, but can't afford to order a hide and send it back if it's not good quality.

Edited by Simeon54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Simeon54 said:

Hi SheilaJeanne, thanks for the comment. I have had some comments about using a little Sam Browne stud for the closure. It may well have to change, but I love the simplicity of it. But yes, perhaps not super practical.

And these edges were bevelled, then dyed with oil dye, then burnished with gum trag and finished with an edge coat I got in NL. It's like an ink of sorts and I must say, I'm stopping using it now, as it flakes off over time. I think the trick with edges is to experiment. I have a hand slicker that I've mounted into a drill and then in a vice, but I also use a cloth now and then. And if it's not smooth enough, sand back the first burnish with a high grit sand paper and give it a second round.
 

I have also stopped using gum trag and just use water. However, I think the burnished edge is often dependant on the quality of leather one uses: better leather, better edge. Hope that helps and sorry for the delay guys!

 

Hidepounder says gum trag prevents dye and edge coat from penetrating the edge, so he uses glycerine saddle soap instead and follows with a final coat of paraffin after dyeing. The gum trag could be what's causing the problem. And yeah, I am finding the same thing about the leather quality. Now working on my second bag, which is a much better quality leather than the first, and the edges burnish super easily with just a little rubbing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now