nstarleather

Variations on a theme- More totes!

The dies for the 3 piece totes came in and I tried both a folded top as well as one with trim.  Tried to do some fun contrast.

What od you think!

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Sweet job, Mike. I guess the dies came out really good.

Is that both spruce and regatta blue I see?

Edited by bikermutt07

Nope just a bright blue suede from CF Stead and a random distressed navy I had lying around.

Well, they look fabulous.

17 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Well, they look fabulous.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, diibbles134 said:

What do you finish your leather with after dyeing 

Both were already finished leathers.

They look beautiful! 

Curious, what dies? Like... for the whole body? That'd want a sizeable clicker press...

micktx   

I like that blue tote.  Nice work Mike.

4 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

They look beautiful! 

Curious, what dies? Like... for the whole body? That'd want a sizeable clicker press...

Two dies both about 18.5” long by 11ish...they’re big an my larger clickers work fine.   I have a monster double headed schwabbe that could cut belts if I wanted.

4 hours ago, micktx said:

I like that blue tote.  Nice work Mike.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

Two dies both about 18.5” long by 11ish...they’re big an my larger clickers work fine.   I have a monster double headed schwabbe that could cut belts if I wanted.

Thanks!

Wowsers! Do you use it for your straps?

37 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Wowsers! Do you use it for your straps?

For the big 2 piece totes, super wide-brimmed hats for ren-faires, basket/tote handles...I’ve got a braided belt die bu5 I don’t use it often.

19 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

For the big 2 piece totes, super wide-brimmed hats for ren-faires, basket/tote handles...I’ve got a braided belt die bu5 I don’t use it often.

Sweet. I didn't realize y'all did hats?

I would make a hat, but dang it, it's just too hot here. I may get 4 opportunities a year to go out on the town when it's cold enough for one.

Edited by bikermutt07

Looks like you've got them down to me.

18 minutes ago, diibbles134 said:

What was the thickness on the leather you used, and where did you get your navy from?

It was really several thicknesses, the distressed navy was just slightly thicker than upholstery weight, but the bottom was like 3.5oz but with a very firm hand.   The blue suede was from a boot company and about 4.5oz, the trim got split before I used it.

JKHelms   

Looks real nice Mike.

by the way, I got my box of HOH from you and love it!

2 hours ago, JKHelms said:

Looks real nice Mike.

by the way, I got my box of HOH from you and love it!

Great to hear!

I’m looking for a pattern to make the three piece tote bag, do you know where I find one? I’ve never done a bag so I don’t know how to go about it

14 hours ago, diibbles134 said:

I’m looking for a pattern to make the three piece tote bag, do you know where I find one? I’ve never done a bag so I don’t know how to go about it

So basically all of these designs used what's called a "box corner":

https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/how-box-corners-two-methods-formulas

So you sew a "U" shape if you're using 2 pieces or just down the sides if you're doing one-piece or a 3-piece with a one-piece bottom.  You then fold it back on it's seams, sew across the corner and cut off the excess.  

If you don't want to bother with the cutting you can just do "square cutouts in the bottoms of you pieces (equal if  you're doing two-piece with a seam in the bottom, say 2.5"x2.5" for roughly 5"  of depth.  If it's one piece you need to account for the seam so you "cut-ins" will be maybe 2.75" in by 5" down (and take a .25" seam).

I don't even remember exactly...like 18" wide by roughly 22" or so high for the 2 piece version.  The bottom of the 3 piece is "H" shaped with a .5" overlap  It really depends on how high you want the bottom to come up.

48 minutes ago, diibbles134 said:

IF you don’t mind me asking what we’re the sizes on your top and bottom panels 

baroness   

For pattern ideas check out a fabric store.  While most of the patterns are intended for lighter weight fabric, a tote bag pattern would be designed for something heavier.  It would at least give you a good start for proportions.  

The web site Sallie Tomato has some nice bag patterns and hardware.  I bought one of her PDF bag patterns and the instructions are very thorough. 

Another!

4FE155D8-FA8E-42B7-B1CA-FDB4E0FEC332.jpeg