Recommended Posts

Ok I cant figure out where to put this topic as it isnt a sewing machine question per se, but it totally is.

 

I need to find a stool /chair for sewing at. I have a cobra class 26 on their pedestal stand. I was using a craptacular IKEA stool with a piano stool like adjustability, but the damn thing just cant handle daily use. I have bounced between the stand to sew and stool to sew but I just added a foot pedal to the sewing machine to control reverse (because it seemed easier than growing a third arm) so unless I can master the whole hovering by yogic mental powers alone I need a better stool. Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tall does it go? I am going to need one that is about 30"+- off the  ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite place to shop for high quality chairs and stools is my local University of Michigan property disposition (https://www.facebook.com/umpropertydisposition/).  They often have high-end lab and medical stools and chairs that cost several hundred dollars new, for under $30.

My favorite tall $25 chair from that place is this one:

IMG_9963.jpg

You can convert most rolling tall office chairs to sliders, to keep the chair from moving  while you sew:

 Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 9.37.06 PM.png

As for items available for purchase new, Amazon is great resource, examples:

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 9.52.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 9.57.54 PM.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uwe,

Thanks for the tip regarding the U of M property sales. Didn’t know that was there. Will make a point to make a trip out there to see what’s available  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many out there use the back on the stool? Every time I try to sew with a chair with a back I find that I am leaning forward enough that I am not even putting any weight on the back section. I cant tell if this is good or bad posture. I will see if the university near me is selling any stools. Definitely a good tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The back on a sewing chair is useful to lean back and admire your handiwork, or to lean back and let out a primal scream, depending on how things are going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could grab some good used lab chairs from my school. They don't send them to surplus unless they are broken here. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to sew sitting on a stool, but I cannot control the speed consistently unless I am standing up.  Seems like when I am sitting I try to feather the pedal and I end up pressing too hard and it takes off!

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Uwe said:

The back on a sewing chair is useful to lean back and admire your handiwork, or to lean back and let out a primal scream, depending on how things are going. 

Know all about the leaning back and screaming part........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garypl said:

I tried to sew sitting on a stool, but I cannot control the speed consistently unless I am standing up.  Seems like when I am sitting I try to feather the pedal and I end up pressing too hard and it takes off!

Gary

Guess you need a speed reducer then ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made another trip to UofM today. There it was - a perfect tall BioFit task/shop/sewing chair, no wheels, like new, $20. Now it's here, next to my blue chair.

IMG_9969.jpg

 

Edited by Uwe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Guess you need a speed reducer then ;)

I do use a speed reducer - but I sew very slowly to begin with and I don’t want to overrun my stitching path when I am sneaking up at the end of a run.

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, garypl said:

I do use a speed reducer - but I sew very slowly to begin with and I don’t want to overrun my stitching path when I am sneaking up at the end of a run.

Gary

Guess you need a thumb wheel controller then ;)  [sorry, way off topic, but I couldn't resist]

 

Edited by Uwe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Guess you need a thumb wheel controller then ;)  [sorry, way off topic, but I couldn't resist]

 

HOW. WHERE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have stools that were made by singer. Big heavy cast iron with a screw part and a wooden top so you can adjust up as high as you need. Kind of like a piano stool...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a Singer stool we collectively fawned over some time ago:

IMG_5037.png&key=aa8ace82a790d605f9ef055

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, R8R said:

HOW. WHERE.

The original post with more details:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uwe said:

This is a Singer stool we collectively fawned over some time ago:

IMG_5037.png&key=aa8ace82a790d605f9ef055

I have not forgotten about that I am just not holding my breath until i find one i could afford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tomsmith85717 said:

 

21 hours ago, garypl said:

I do use a speed reducer - but I sew very slowly to begin with and I don’t want to overrun my stitching path when I am sneaking up at the end of a run.

Gary

Guess you need a thumb wheel controller then ;)  [sorry, way off topic, but I couldn't resist]

 

Now that look’s handy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, Those r what my stools look like.....   Work Great!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 0:21 PM, garypl said:

I tried to sew sitting on a stool, but I cannot control the speed consistently unless I am standing up.  Seems like when I am sitting I try to feather the pedal and I end up pressing too hard and it takes off!

Gary

I put the foot ring of the stool at a good height for my heel to rest on and just use my toes to feather the pedal.  I find this reduces the times my machine runs away on me to next to zip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Joon1911 said:

I put the foot ring of the stool at a good height for my heel to rest on and just use my toes to feather the pedal.  I find this reduces the times my machine runs away on me to next to zip.

I take advantage of the size of the "go" pedal and put the ball of my left foot at the bottom left and the ball of my right foot at the top right. I press the pedal only with my right foot -- the weight of my left keeps the pedal under very careful control. It also helps that I learned to drive on a series of vehicles with dodgy clutches ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I went to the university surplus place and got a stool it isnt perfect its too short,  it was made in 1997 (doesnt look a day over 10 though) its built like a tank had to have cost them like $600 new... but at $25 USD I will gladly try to mod it into a great stool, I will also swing by that place on the semi regular as they have some cool and weird shit at garage sale prices.  Honestly if you needed a cheap sturdy work bench they  had old lab tables and ridiculous desks for like $20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now