We lost a lot in a fire...

Recommended Posts

Hello all. I've been away for a bit. This could end up being a long story, so I'll make it as short as possible.

About six months ago the lady in D1 apt. had her sister move in with her kids, 9 total in a 2 bedroom upstairs apt. They often supplied liquor to one of the kids, a minor boy and his girl friend, and any and all friends that came over and encouraged them to sleep together and make babies. You see, these 2 sisters have kids for income. They broke all the rules, numerous complaint's were made in writing to management in the last six months, even by people not living in our building (8 apts.). The young couple (X-military) moved in the 1st of march underneath the sisters. Between then and the time of the fire (less than 30 days) they had called the police 5 times for making too much noise, banging on walls and floors, loud music, all times of the day and night. Early Sunday morning on the  25th of march 5 drunkin teenagers (2 boys & 3 pregnant girls) was playing a game with fire crackers. They thought is was funny to drop a lit fire cracker in a bottle of 151 rum and watch the fuse go out, until....one had a fast fuse. It went off, exploding the bottle and the flaming liquid went everywhere. There was only vinyl soffit above the wood deck balcony. Once the fire was in the attic, it went from one end of the building to the other in less than 10 minutes... Before the fire department even got there. The 4 upstairs apartments are gone. Luckily we were on the ground floor, and only had smoke and water damage. We were allowed 4 hours to retrieve anything of value the next day, but anything cloth or that absorbed smoke is a loss. The worst part is we had no insurance...and..the fire investigator deemed it an accidental fire. So I'm sure they lied about the fire.

We spent 2 weeks in a motel until we were given an upstairs apartment in another building for my wife, son, me and my 91 year old mother. So my son is now sleeping on a old worn out couch donated by someone. My wife and I, and my mother, have old used worn out beds also donated. The Red Cross, Good Will, DHS, and a host of private citizens has got us by, but we are out very, very much. The second morning at the hotel, our maid said that the same teenager that started the fire with his friends came to her with puke soaked sheets and said he had too much to drink. You would think after the life changing events of the fire would change the way of these 2 ladies, but no. They continue to supply booze to minors and encourage sleeping with minor girls. It's a small world in that the owners of the apartment complex is also the owners of the hotel and booted them out of the hotel as soon as they found out they were there. Both sisters has open cases of child neglect and abuse. One of the sisters was in the lobby of the hotel when my wife went for breakfast and she was complaining to everyone in the lobby that DHS is cutting them off, donators are requesting the donations back, and Red Cross would not prosecute if they returned the money donation they were given.

Below is links to the local new's station on the fire. Someone told me to start a go fund me page. I don't know what that is, I'm not that knowledgeable of these things. So I'm reaching out the only way I know how. If anyone would care to donate to us we would Greatly, and Deeply Appreciate it. Our new address is:

John E. Adams848 S. Chestnut St. Apt. A1, Reed City, MI 49677  Thank You Very Kindly to those that can help in any way!






We are 1st on the list for a 3 bedroom downstairs apartment, so this upstairs is only temporary. But how long temporary is...we have no idea.

btw, the reason the apartment complex management told us why they did not act upon the complaints and request to have the people evicted is that they had too many vacant apartments. Later, I found out there was only 4 vacant apartments out of 39. 3-two bedroom upstairs and 1-three bedroom ground floor apartment. It's funny...the ground floor and 1 of the upstairs apartments that were vacant was in the building that burnt. And they were only recently vacant because the tenants told me personally they did not feel safe with the people in the apartment that started the fire. All I can say is I hope the owners are happy!

I made a New Years Resolution to have a positive attitude after being denied the 2nd time for SSDI. You know, it's hard enough when life crushes you, but when something like this happens...I just feel like throwing in the towel. What's the point of going on. It took us 2-1/2 years to pay for a couch and love seat at our local rent to own, and made the last payment the first of March. And it went into the dumpster. All the beds I bought brand new when we move into the apartment after we lost our house. The money came from selling all my wood working machines. The last 10 years it just seams like life wants to defeat me, ruin me, bury me. I wish it would hurry up and complete the later.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In times like these words are never enough and I wish I had more to offer, what I am going to say is not legal advise.  I had to fight the Social security people myself, I was 57 at the time and had decent paying jobs most of my adult life, it was not as though I was trying to take advantage of the system.  I had been to well known facility in California for back issues that I had suffered from for years and it got to the point that I was in constant pain, the first 2 things the Dr said was ( I wont operate and when do you retire, I knew right then and there I was screwed.  That is when I started my quest to draw out what I contributed for years in to the system, I to was denied and in the denial process had a heart attack, but I did not give up.  I wrote my own appeals after reading and doing the research about the system, it took 2 appeals the last step was to go to a hearing with the SS Judge, That is when I hired an attorney.  I did win the case and got all my back pay, but at the expense of living with the stress of not being really sure but feeling sure I would win.  Don't give up that is what they want you to do, hand in there and fight it all the way, I wish I had more to offer but don't it is hard going from what I use to make weekly to now making that monthly.  Good luck in your fight and again don't give up!!!  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  Oldnslow is right, don't give up. It took us almost 3 years to get my wife thru the process. We had to get a lawyer too, but we got one that only gets payed if you win your case. They do charge but its limited by law the percent they can get . Unfortunately its not any faster than going on your own but they seem to listen better when you go that rout. I wish I could promise  it will work for you, bit it is the government after all. I wish you luck and I'll keep you in my pairs.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now