Weavercat

Paint remains tacky

I have started painting on purses, and found that some seem to remain tacky. I have a couple that have sat for well over a month and still feel tacky. Any ideas or suggestions? 

Maybe old paint or applying too thick a coat?  What type paint are you using?  Acrylic paint is commonly used and I have never had any problems with drying.

Gary

Just now, garypl said:

Maybe old paint or applying too thick a coat?  What type paint are you using?  Acrylic paint is commonly used and I have never had any problems with drying.

Gary

Just now, garypl said:

Gary

Hi Gary, it’s new paint. I have angelus, and leather studio brands. Also, do you seal the paint afterwards or not?

I have used Angelus paints with good results.  I normally dilute the paint with distilled water @20% water to 80% paint.  After paint thoroughly dries I usually seal with Resolene diluted 50% with distilled water.  No drying problems.

Gary

If its acrylic, try thinning it a bit with a floor 'polish' sometimes called Klear or Future or 'Pledge with Future Shine' [it has many, many names]. Its actually not a polish but a quick drying acrylic varnish. Its very thin, almost as thin as water. I use it to thin acrylic paints and it speeds up drying time

21 minutes ago, fredk said:

If its acrylic, try thinning it a bit with a floor 'polish' sometimes called Klear or Future or 'Pledge with Future Shine' [it has many, many names]. Its actually not a polish but a quick drying acrylic varnish. Its very thin, almost as thin as water. I use it to thin acrylic paints and it speeds up drying time

Never heard of using this as a thinner - will give it a try!

Thanks Fred!

Gary

On 7/24/2018 at 8:13 PM, fredk said:

Great bit of info try try out. Thanks fredk !