Jason046

Best stuff to buy to sharpen swivel knives

I received a card from Amazon and was wondering if anyone has gotten any good sharpening stones or strips off here. Mainly just sharpening swivel knives so was wondering what grit y'all use and the compound. I have red jewlers rouge but was wondering if the different colors meant anything?

36 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

I don't use a stone on swivel knives. Just rouge on a strop.

I have been only doing the same but o have a blade I like that dosent seem to be sharp enough with just the rouge on a strop

2000 grit sandpaper to get it good and close to sharp, then green strop compound on a strop to get it the rest of the way. Took about an hour but I like how it performs now.

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 7:07 AM, Jason046 said:

wondering if the different colors meant anything?

Yes, the different colours indicate different grade of abrasive. I have been told by a lot of people, always use the green/blue colour for stropping all leatherwork knives including swivel knives.

Keep in mind, not all manufacturers use the same colors for the same micron grit

My 2 cents, as it works for me...

I have a double sided wooden strop, one side has heavy horse hide (6mm) glued skin side to wood, flesh side out.

Fed it with lard, then sprinkled it with carborundum powder (800 grit) and worked that in. Tapped off the excess.

Other side has same leather set up, but just a very small amount of red jewellers rouge rubbed on.

Then another strop with skin side out.

When you get your blade, use your stone to initial sharp, then the grit side, then the rouge side, then the skin.

Haven't needed the grit much at all since first sharpening, as the rouge and skin keep the edge.

My stone for these knives is a hard Arkansas Stone, bought 40 years ago from a retiring carpenter.

H