That Union Lockstitch is music to my ears. I've owned two so far and sold both of them off. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with one more.

Most interesting. No measurements, he just eye-balled everything. That leather sounded pretty hard when he was bevelling the edges!!

Kid looks like he dun that before ;)  Still not gittin' the whole "play some unrelated music and pan past a  bunch of unrelated tools" thing, but I do like the way that old gal lays a stitch!

3 hours ago, dikman said:

Most interesting. No measurements, he just eye-balled everything. That leather sounded pretty hard when he was bevelling the edges!!

Sounded like he needed to strop his edger to me ;-)

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Kid looks like he dun that before ;)  Still not gittin' the whole "play some unrelated music and pan past a  bunch of unrelated tools" thing, but I do like the way that old gal lays a stitch!

Unbeknownst to many used to modern sewing machines, the Union Lockstitch machines can be adjusted to lay down the tightest stitches in the World, followed by Campbell-Randall Lockstitch machines. The take-up mechanism is capable of locking the top thread 100% near the top of the upstroke. It is usually also set to a certain amount of lift to position the knots in the dead center of the layers.

Nice Video, I’m kinda curious on how the sewing machine is powered sounds like it’s pneumatic the machine had air hoses with air/water separator filters and a small motor it’s different never seen anything like it before.

1162B310-C4F4-4DBA-AF26-F5C4C5C73B3E.jpeg

That appears to be something like a Gast air motor.  Lots of power and torque in a small package.  Similar to this one:

http://vactech.com.my/product/vacuum-pumps/4am-gast/

I happened to just be looking at these yesterday with the idea of using one backwards as a belt driven compressor powered by the clutch motor to charge a small airtank that could be used for a pneumatic presser lift.

Edited by LederMaschinist