Sign in to follow this  
GregS

Oval punches

Hi guys.  Really new to leather craft.

One of my near future projects is going to be a belt.  I've watched many YouTube videos.  It looks like the way to go is oval punches.  I have round hole punches and not really sure that I'll make use of oval punches in the near future.  I know that part of the fun of a new hobby is getting all the tools.  But being new, I'd rather not spend the money on tools that I may not use any time soon.

Instead of an oval punch, how much of an overlap can I have for round punches in place of an oval?  The various pics sort of look like it is a tear drop shape.

Welcome aboard.

I'm not sure what you mean by overlap?

I have only made one leather belt for work. I used round punches. It works fine. I would invest in ovals if I were going to sell them. 

And, there are tear drop shaped punches out there.

11 hours ago, GregS said:

Instead of an oval punch, how much of an overlap can I have for round punches in place of an oval?  The various pics sort of look like it is a tear drop shape.

About 25% to 50% should do as overlap - just depends on how long you want your oval. Use a smaller size hole punch [individual bar type] as a bar to burnish and smooth the hole sides. Even with a single oval hole punch you should do this.

Oval hole punches are not very expensive. Heres a link to one of 6 x 4mm. just about right for belt holes; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Leather-Craft-Oval-Rectangle-Punch-Hole-Hollow-Tools-Strap-Belt-Square-Hole/253632650535?hash=item3b0daf1d27:m:mOKIZkFkSuQ00-e1dRVDpxA:rk:4:pf:0&var=552864877734

16 hours ago, GregS said:

Hi guys.  Really new to leather craft.

One of my near future projects is going to be a belt.  I've watched many YouTube videos.  It looks like the way to go is oval punches.  I have round hole punches and not really sure that I'll make use of oval punches in the near future.  I know that part of the fun of a new hobby is getting all the tools.  But being new, I'd rather not spend the money on tools that I may not use any time soon.

Reality is that the round hole punches are just fine, the oval thing is just a visual thing and does not lend itself to any better performance over the life of the belt.  Besides, who really looks at the hole style on a belt?  The flash of a belt is in the overall style and design.

Oh, now I know what you mean about over lap.

24 minutes ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

Reality is that the round hole punches are just fine, the oval thing is just a visual thing and does not lend itself to any better performance over the life of the belt.  

I'm contrary. I did new bonnet and boot belts for my vintage cars. On the old belts the round holes had ripped the leather into an oval hole and distressed the strap. On the new ones I punched oval holes and after many, many months of use the holes are/were the same shape with no distress to the leather belt strap

Edited by fredk

I like that with the oval holes, the belt doesn't seem to get pulled out of shape like the round holes do.  Of course the only belt I had with oval holes was a higher end belt than I usually buy.

Bikermutt, love your signature block.  Isn't that the way most hobbies start?  And a belt is obviously on my list of things to make.